PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L Headers??

henryj
09-03-2003, 15:58
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of performance exhaust manifolds or headers for N/A 6.2L other than Banks?

Dieselboy
09-03-2003, 16:12
The only place that I've heard of headers for the 6.2L is from Stan's Headers.

Stan's application chart (http://www.stans-headers.com/gm_headers.htm)

Eric Deslauriers
09-04-2003, 05:24
Neato, they're not too far from me.

Now, how much hp do they provide and what's the curve look like? Guess if I was interested, I'd actually call. ;)

I'm all about useable hp & torque, not peaks. No graphs and I chalk it up to snake oil. smile.gif

Dieselboy
09-04-2003, 07:30
I really can't tell you. I imagine that the power gain is similar to what most engines see with a new set of headers. Since you're replacing the entire exhaust at the same time, you can expect a nice "seat of the pants" increase in power, but as for numbers and a curve, I'm stumped. :(

Old6.2
09-04-2003, 09:03
I was told that headers do not help diesels for two reasons; the camshaft timing does not have much overlap for the header pulse to work and the high compression will force the exhaust out. Your money would be better spent elsewhere.

britannic
09-04-2003, 09:21
Most header customizations involve fitting bigger turbos and increasing the diameter of the downpipe to get more power.

The stock manifolds already flow plenty of gas, so make sure there's no restrictions downstream and upstream.

Our diesel engines don't see the higher revs of a gas engine, where it becomes mandatory to vent the additional gas when the engine pumps faster.

Craig M
09-08-2003, 10:08
Looks like we have very divergent oppinions on this topic. Dr Lee puts crossover pipes on his NA diesel to enhance flow. Bigger exhaust systems on the NA appear to increase power. If larger helps in the tail pipes, why would not larger and equal length help on the headers? I'm sure I do not know all the answers but I do not think we have got all the facts about a 6.2 NA diesel exhaust/header system yet.

aloharovers
09-08-2003, 18:11
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dieselboy:
[QB] The only place that I've heard of headers for the 6.2L is from Stan's Headers.

Holly Cow. Those guys are just a few miles down the road.
Looks like I will have to see about a drive by after work one day.
smile.gif

britannic
09-08-2003, 20:51
Originally posted by Craig M:
Looks like we have very divergent oppinions on this topic. Dr Lee puts crossover pipes on his NA diesel to enhance flow. Bigger exhaust systems on the NA appear to increase power. If larger helps in the tail pipes, why would not larger and equal length help on the headers? I'm sure I do not know all the answers but I do not think we have got all the facts about a 6.2 NA diesel exhaust/header system yet. Actually we're on the same page, it's just that the 6.2L headers don't need much work other than port matching, some polishing and Dr. Lee's flange mods. The headers can easily flow enough gas (with the appropriate intake and exhaust modifications) to make between 240-300 flywheel HP.

However, by all means scratch the itch, because there's always room for improvement if there's enough time and money on the table :D :D !!

Dieselboy
09-08-2003, 23:57
I think that Dr. Lee put it best. "Speed and money are directly related. How fast do you want to go?"