PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades

Cabasa
09-06-2003, 08:29
Hello all I just joined and am real happy to finally get some good info on my truck. I own a 84 Suburban with a 6.2 and wanted to do some upgrades. I understand that there is a preferred water pump to use. Which one? Also I understand that the 6.5 turbo stuff will bolt directly on. I tried a search, but soon learned there was a crash recently in the forum. Thanks for the help

britannic
09-06-2003, 08:52
You can certainly retrofit a takeoff 6.5L GM8 (recommended) turbo system to your engine. To get the most benefit, you'll probably want to consider installing a DB2-4911 injector pump and 6.5LTD injectors.

Also, read the latest threads in this forum from DieselBoy, myself (check out the photo link in my sig.) and others.

Bank's Engineering (http://www.bankspower.com) makes a complete aftermarket turbo kit for the 6.2L (they were a factory option until GM came out with the 6.5LTD).

ATS Turbo (http://www.atsturbo.com/products/index.php3) used to make a kit as well, which occasionally comes up in the classifieds and eBay.

mhagie
09-08-2003, 06:39
The statement about the 6.5 turbo is corect in the fact that it will bolt up to the engine fine BUT if you have a/c it won't clear the evaporator box :mad: .
Have heard of guys adapting a s-10 evap box splicing same at blower with good success, if you have some time to experment you can possibly come up with a evap box that will work.

britannic
09-08-2003, 08:43
mhagie wrote: The statement about the 6.5 turbo is corect in the fact that it will bolt up to the engine fine BUT if you have a/c it won't clear the evaporator box.

How about getting the junk 6.5LTD truck's evaporator housing at the same time :D as the other bits?

Cabasa
09-08-2003, 18:41
How about turning up the fuel for now? Is there a specific way I should do that if at all? This thing as you can imagine without a turbo is a dog. The other day a guy in a new Ford Powerstroke towing a large boat came beside me at the light and floored it on the green. I figured it was deliberate because he was looking over at me. Well I just barely beat him towing that huge boat. Pitiful! :eek: That is probably the first "race" I ever did in the truck, but it got me thinking. So now here I am in need of power advice. smile.gif

britannic
09-08-2003, 20:44
The key to adding more fuel is to first ensure there's enough air and exhaust flow to burn it all and extract useful power.

Only turn up the pump if there's no black smoke at any time, your timing is set correctly, your EGTs never exceed 900F during general driving and you've never seen a peak of 1050F.

Cabasa
09-08-2003, 23:00
I will add a EGT gauge as my first step and then see where I am at. Thanks again for the advice.