PDA

View Full Version : don't know much about diffs

GregCrabb
09-11-2003, 22:58
I just found the info telling me that my truck has a 2.73 rear diff (I think I'm remembering it right)...how does that stand up? I don't haul much other than a few things from Lowe's and don't tow at all.

britannic
09-12-2003, 05:52
The real question is: how does it drive? If you're planning to fit 32-35" swampers, or tow seriously heavy loads, it'll make the engine work really hard and may be bog it down until the revs pick up. On the other hand if your engine has the power, you'll get good fuel economy at cruise.

john8662
09-12-2003, 07:38
Wow! 2.73 rear diff gear ratio? And I thought that my truck was geared high. As far as pulling, your pretty much going to have to just pull in Drive and nothing too heavy either, a light single axle trailor would be possible. With that gear ratio you will have some problems with hills. But on the other hand, you can go 80 mph and still get in the 20's fuel mileage. My truck is geared 3.08 and I have pulled some big loads with it (full size chevy blazer on a dual axle trailor going 65 down the highway against the wind). But that was all it wanted. As far as putting around in town 3.08 is ok, when I have to tear down the axle in the future I am going to go to 3.42. I feel its a better all-around gear ratio. Conclusion, if you like the way the truck drives (acceleration, just driveability) and you don't pull much if anything then your current ratio will be fine. Especially with a light truck like yours (single cab shorty).

NH2112
09-12-2003, 13:57
My truck has 2.73s and 235-75/15s and while I love it for highway driving and the resultant fuel mileage, it's sure not a very good choice for hauling about a ton of bricks around! On every hill I came to I had to downshift to 3rd in order to maintain speed (around 45mph.) My next one's going to have 4.09s and I'll just live with the RPM at highway speed, because pulling power is what I'll want.

Eric Deslauriers
09-12-2003, 17:22
Are we sure those aren't 3.73s and a 700R4 w/ and OD trans?

That makes more sense in an 86.

GregCrabb
09-15-2003, 22:50
Nope....I just went out and double checked...it's 2.73

It works ok for me and what I use it for...mainly yard work and to help keep the miles off my little VW until it's paid for ;) ...but on hills with the cruise set, it does have to downshift.
on the other hand, I do get about 25 mpg cruising the interstate at 75mph :D