PDA

View Full Version : Turning up the pump?

whatnot
09-14-2003, 09:53
Which way does the screw need to be turned to give more fuel?
I lost my Banks manual so I had to go by memory. I turned it 1/4 turn clockwise and I think it lost some power but I am not sure since the transmission isn't shifting right.

Dieselboy
09-14-2003, 12:13
The adjustment adds fuel in the clockwise direction.

whatnot
09-14-2003, 12:46
That is what I was afraid of. (I was hoping I turned it down)
Do you think it would hurt to give it another 1/4 turn?
The engine is a goodwrench 6.5(6.2 N/A replacement) that was in bread truck and had a J intake.
I think the shifting problem is the crankshaft sensor but I am not sure. (I didn't think to line the engines up in the same position before swaping it)
I took the truck out yesterday after turning up the pump and it didn't want to go over 3200 RPM (up hill) and the transmission doesen't want to shift till 3500 rpm unless you really let off the pedal. (it would just stay a little over 3000 with the pedal to the floor)
The other thing I am thinking it might be is with it in park, it starts to miss on one or two cylinders when reved up and put out whitish blue puffs out the exhaust.
I might swap the injectors out next thing to see if it helps.

Bobbie Martin
09-14-2003, 15:49
Whatnot,
Does this truck have a throttle position sensor on the fuel inj pump? If so, I think that may be your shifting problem. It sounds like it's out of adjustment. Try turning it a bit. BTW, the crank sensor is not timed and can go in any way it will fit.

whatnot
09-14-2003, 16:15
I think I have the tps adjusted right.
For some reason, the C code 6.2 isn't in my scan tool so I had to keep trying other vin codes to get the sensors to read.
The tps seemed to be reading correct with a vin for a 350 gas engine. I tried a J 6.2 but it wouldn't work, just showed 49% no matter where it was. I think it might have been reading a different sensor.

If it isn't that sensor causing the bad shifting then it might be the low power.
I think I will give it another 1/4 turn and see what happens. (I could only get about 6 or 7 PSI boost and the EGT gauge is broken so I don't know what that was at.

I think the engine might have been sitting for quite a while. Is it possible that the pump or injectors just need to be run a while and will clear up or should I swap out the injectors right away?

whatnot
09-14-2003, 16:24
If the crank sensor isn't timed then what is the purpose of it? The tach runs off the alternator so it doesen't need it for that. I think I will try turning it some anyway if I can't find anything else to help. It can turn 360

britannic
09-14-2003, 18:39
Adjusting the fuel rate isn't the best practice for setting your shift points. Concentrate on the TPS and control system for the transmission instead and keep your power :D !!