PDA

View Full Version : New to 6.2, need help

dieselmab
09-14-2003, 18:04
I've been a DP member for a while now. And been off the BB for a while. I need some help from you 6.2 experienced fellas.
Here's the deal:
1984 K20
Later model 6.2 NA out of a Frito-Lay truck.
I bought the truck last November, had the tranny rebuilt last week 700R4.
This truck was a farm truck and been rigged and abused.

I've got two issues, (among many, many), that have me scratching my head.

1)It seems all controls that live in the steering column are disabled or disconnected, outside of the ignition switch. Glow plug relay doesn't work off of the key switch. The previous owner installed a fender mounted relay that works sometimes for a whopping 2-3 seconds.

2)The fuel system bleeds off within 15-20 minutes of shutting the truck off and becomes very hard to re-start. There is a strong fuel smell about the truck when it is running. I noticed that around the fuel filter housing it is wet. There is also a drain? hose on the bottom of the housing that appears to be wet with fuel. This truck used to have dual tanks. It now has the drivers side tank only. The previus owner installed a ball valve right out of the tank to try to keep it from bleeding off. Don't think this hillbilly fix helps anything, though.

I think the yahoo who R&R'd the engine must have screwed the steering column up some how. Wipers have their own switch, glow plugs, cruise doesn't work, and turn signals no work, either.

One bright side is that I found a 1985 GMC service manual and am considering starting from scratch on the fuel and electrical systems......but, the thought of the time and money makes me quite digusted.

Haven't got up to my elbows in this truck yet. I'm really wanting to get an idea of where to begin and not waste time trying to do an atopsy on a hillbilly horse.

The truck is not beyond help. Sound familiar to anybody? Any ideas?

TIA,
Mark

britannic
09-14-2003, 18:44
WRT to the fuel filter, sounds similar the problem I had with the drain valve leaking fuel under pressure and air back in when the engine was off.

Either get a new drain valve, or if it's the FM80 (rectangular filter) I would recommend trying to get the later FM100 from eBay or the scrap yard. It doesn't leak fuel when changing the filters and when maintained properly is more resistant to air leaks.

dieselmab
09-14-2003, 19:24
Thanks, britannic. Good info. Just read through alot of the troubleshooting guide. I think I have a game plan on the fuel system now. The glow plug circuit and wiring is a different story, though!