PDA

View Full Version : Exhuast temp running high

Charlie Whitley
09-18-2003, 10:42
My exhuast temp is running higher than it should according to banks. I have installed the sidewinder turbo kit to my 87 6.2 4x4 it runs at 300 degrees F sitting still then running down the road it runs at about 800 to 900 F if I down shift out of over drive to drive it goes down to about 600 to 700 F banks says it could be the origanal dognut gaskett and should try to replace with a new one.

britannic
09-18-2003, 12:40
Where's your timing set at? I assume "dognut" is donut for the crossover pipe smile.gif ? Is there evidence that it's blowing (soot and/or noise)?

With a turbo installed, the engine becomes very sensitive to timing, especially under boost. Check that it's not retarded or too far advanced. I would expect idle EGTs of 150-200F after start up and 300F and falling after a run.

[ 09-18-2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

Charlie Whitley
09-18-2003, 15:58
Sorry about the spelling I am recovering from surgery and I still on a lot of medicine. yes it is the cross over pipe. Now why wouldnt banks say any thing aboutthe timing in thier installtion manual. I am pretty sure thier is exhaust gas leaking out through thier as far as noise its hard to tell under the truck while its running along with it leaking with the air moving from the the Fan.

britannic
09-18-2003, 16:45
Sorry to hear you're under weather - I trust you're continuing to get better!

Banks assume that the engine is correctly timed. Get the new exhaust donut installed, or use the other one that was surplus after the install if it's in good shape.

You may also want to check that the EGT gauge is accurate as well. Its not unknown for them to develop a fault.

BTW how much did you turn up the pump?

Definitely get your timing set in any case, if your timing chain and pump are in good shape, you align the timing marks on the cover and pump as a basis.

Check your EGTs with the leak free crossover pipe and timing baselined and if the temps are within range at idle and cruise, experiment with a bit of advance.

Personally I can't overemphasize getting the timing checked with a proper timing tester; a Banks installer I checked with, told me they've seen a few cases of melted/cracked #7/#8 pistons, melted glow plugs and warped heads caused by owner's advancing the timing too far, for more power after it left their shop.

If the diesel clatter sounds like the HPCA is on all of the time at 1400rpm and above, the timing may be too advanced. I've experimented with TDC @ 1400rpm (stock timing), but found the sweet spot is TDC @ 2000rpm (YMMV) on my particular engine.

Although timing can be set at 700rpm (to take up slack in the timing train), it should be checked at 1400 and 2000rpm, so that the light load and servo timing advance doesn't inject fuel as the piston is still on the compression stroke. The combustion heat rises exponentially as the piston is still compressing the expanding burning charge which in turn is trying to reverse the piston's direction. Obviously, the desired result is expansion that sends the piston down on it's firing stroke.

The optimum injection point starts a burn just as the piston comes over the top of it's stroke. The lumy/mag picks up the combustion just after injection, when the atomized fuel actually ignites, so TDC as measured by it is right on.

Charlie Whitley
09-18-2003, 20:04
I talked with Banks about the gauge. It stays at about 100 to 150 F after it has set over night which I thaught was a bit odd but they said that happens and that it was ok what do you all think it is still under warrenty. I could ask for a new one. Every body keeps talking about the timing and I have never messed with it; So why now I never had any problems to begin with it it ran just fine before installing the turbo kit. As far as the exhuast temp before the kit was installed I dont know what the temp was.I do know truck ran fine. I guess I could shoot it with my ray tech gun at the manifold and see.

catmandoo
09-18-2003, 20:21
as brittanic said mine runs maybe 200 at the most at idle .you say the gauge reads 100-150 after setting all night sounds like the needles just off a little and if you subtract the 100-150 your right in the ballpark.i'd either live with it or try to get another one, guess it's up to you whether it bothers you that much or not.

Charlie Whitley
09-18-2003, 21:17
I turned the pump up to what banks said to then when I saw the temps raise likethey I turned it back a 1/4 turn that didnt do anything but do away with the black smoke so I am saving some fuel. When I get to where I am feeling better I will shoot the exhaust manifold with my ray tech gun and see and maybe at the cross tube too. thanks for the help I like being in this club I dont feel all alone now thier arent that many Chevy Diesel trucks here in Janesville WI where at one time they were all pretty much built here at the GM plant.