PDA

View Full Version : new caliper - bleeding with hydroboost tricks?

StorminN
09-19-2003, 15:42
I need to put a new front right brake caliper on my rig, and I'm wondering if there are any precautions / tricks / special procedures I should know about before I do this... I've bled plenty of brakes, but I'm just wondering if they're anything different with the hybroboost brake systems.

Thanks,
-N.

britannic
09-19-2003, 16:00
Just bleed them the same as you would a vacuum servo assisted braking system.

If you're using a pressure bleeder, then one trick is to depress the combination valve that's fitted in the front brake lines under the radiator, using a flat piece of metal bent 90 degrees, so that one end presses on the valve and the other has a slot cut in it, so that it can slid under the the loosened valve body bolt.

StorminN
09-19-2003, 16:13
Uh oh, now you're talking over my head... I've bled brakes before, but always the very simple someone-else-stepping-on-the-brakes method... build up pressure, crack bleeder, let out air, repeat... until no air... is this OK to do?

Thanks a ton,
-N.

britannic
09-19-2003, 16:24
Just bleed them as you would any other car. The tricks I mentioned are for pressure bleeding, which is the ultimate wasy to speed bleed the entire system after a master cylinder replacement.

mhagie
09-19-2003, 17:17
I just use a cheapy hand squezed vacuum pump that has a attatchment to a small plastic jar which is connected to bleeder port.
Works just fine and never have to touch brake pedal.

britannic
09-19-2003, 18:25
I like mhagie's suggestion even better!

StorminN
09-23-2003, 09:19
OK, thanks guys... it's done now and working good.

-N.