PDA

View Full Version : ATS turbo?

Dezman125
01-19-2004, 18:25
Hi
Does anyone have any info on the ATS turbo system for the 6.2.I'm looking for advice on them, or tips,or any info.
Thanks

arveetek
01-27-2004, 09:24
Yukon,

I've noticed you've made several requests for info on the ATS turbo system you purchased, and nobody has responded.

I thought I would tell you what I know.

ATS quit making 6.2L turbo systems several years ago. It was probably a profit decision. Not much call for these turbo systems anymore.

Anyway, I think that the ATS system is just as good as the Banks system. It just happens to be that Banks has made more turbos for the 6.2L than ATS did. Plus, Banks still offers a complete turbo system for our engines.

There used to be at least a couple of members on here who had ATS turbos on their trucks. I don't know what's become of them. They seemed to be happy with their setup.

I can't tell you if ATS is better than Banks or not, or vice versa, but I can tell you that an ATS equipped 6.2L is definitely better than an n/a 6.2L!

If you have a complete system that will bolt up into your truck just fine, then I say install it the way it is, and fine tune/modify it later if need be. It's a good way to get experience with modifying these diesel engines.

Hope this helps!

Good luck.

Casey

cschneider
01-27-2004, 15:02
I have had both the Banks and ATS kits on the same truck and can honestly say that the while the Banks may look better, the ATS kit was designed better and performed better. I am not knocking the Banks kit by any means it is a great alternative to a N/A truck but the ATS seemed to dissipate heat better and had a shorter spool time. It also seemed to make more boost at lower rpms. The big drawback was replacing injectors and glow plugs on the PS bank was next to impossible with the ATS. I sold my system to FWbennet (I think that's his handle) and last I heard he was real satisfied. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.

Dezman125
01-27-2004, 22:47
Thanks guys
I did get an engin,and ATS turbo system from a guy i know.I'm glad i didn't have to give much for it.I ended up with a good block,crank,fair heads,and turbo system.Unforantly the turbo blades are beat to s&*t.Had to make the deal with out being able to inspect.Distance is always the drawback up here.It's been real cold up here and am looking for componants to copy britannic's system,if i have to buy a turbo it may as well be bigger one. :D

arveetek
01-28-2004, 06:45
Sounds like a good plan! You can't have too many extra parts laying around anyways! I have a complete spare 6.2L in the garage, along with a couple of intakes, exhaust manifolds, some old alternators, a/c compressors, etc. Never know when you're going to need something!

I'm piecing together my own turbo system one part at a time. I bought a turbo without any other parts off a gentleman locally. I believe it to be an ATS 6.9L/7.3L non waste-gated turbo. I bought a passenger side manifold from Banks, had an adapter machined to bolt the turbo to it, and am now getting ready to construct my own 3" downpipe. I still need to get a crossover pipe, air filter assy, and pressure chamber. The plan is to get this system installed this spring.

Casey

Dezman125
01-29-2004, 00:09
Extra parts are always good,i'd have to go count the chev trucks in my bone yard.This is my first diesel,except for a burnt blazer,don't hold much hope for much from it.I'll get my truck running and collect the goodies,probly next winters project,i'll do soom cooling mods then too.I'v got a line on a GM turbo manifold,and a cummins intercooler