PDA

View Full Version : Brakes - pulsating....kinda scary

shamanie
01-23-2004, 19:54
The brakes feel warped. Definately feel like they need some work. When stopping I feel my blaze pulse.

Where would you take it for service?
What parts would you use?
Is a disc brake conversion advantageous?

4" lift and larger tires are like right around the corner, so I would like to have the brakes in prime operating condition.

As an aside question; I understand that longer brake lines will be in order as a result of the lift, so would it be better to do the brakes at the same time?

Thanks You guys

NH2112
01-24-2004, 10:39
I would definitely take it to a place that has branches all over the country, like Midas, Sears or Ward's. A highly-recommended small shop is often just as good or better, but I like the idea of being able to have warranty work done anywhere in the country...when I don't do my own work at least.

For parts, again, go with nationwide brands with good reputations - NAPA, Raybestos, Wagner, etc.

I've heard good and bad things about the disc conversions. First of all, they're not inexpensive kits, but a disc brake job is less expensive and easier than a drum brake job. They're also a lot simpler, and if you like 4-wheelin' it doesn't take long to ruin drums & shoes if grit gets in there. People on this forum have said that the passenger-car calipers used for the parking brakes don't always hold the heavier trucks on inclines, so that might be something to think about. Perhaps a Mico Lock for 4-wheelin' would be good. Lastly, you may have to get an adjustable proportioning valve in order for both sets of brakes to work properly together.

If you feel they're unsafe now, I'd go ahead and do them. The pulsation you feel sounds like a warped rotor or a drum out of round, so definitely have them checked and turned/replaced if necessary. I prefer to replace them, simply because even turning them a little bit takes off a good amount of heat-absorbing metal.

shamanie
02-10-2004, 18:29
Originally posted by NH2112:
I would definitely take it to a place that has branches all over the country, like Midas, Sears or Ward's. A highly-recommended small shop is often just as good or better, but I like the idea of being able to have warranty work done anywhere in the country...when I don't do my own work at least.

For parts, again, go with nationwide brands with good reputations - NAPA, Raybestos, Wagner, etc.

I've heard good and bad things about the disc conversions. First of all, they're not inexpensive kits, but a disc brake job is less expensive and easier than a drum brake job. They're also a lot simpler, and if you like 4-wheelin' it doesn't take long to ruin drums & shoes if grit gets in there. People on this forum have said that the passenger-car calipers used for the parking brakes don't always hold the heavier trucks on inclines, so that might be something to think about. Perhaps a Mico Lock for 4-wheelin' would be good. Lastly, you may have to get an adjustable proportioning valve in order for both sets of brakes to work properly together.

If you feel they're unsafe now, I'd go ahead and do them. The pulsation you feel sounds like a warped rotor or a drum out of round, so definitely have them checked and turned/replaced if necessary. I prefer to replace them, simply because even turning them a little bit takes off a good amount of heat-absorbing metal. Took it to Big-O. I go to this web site called planetfeedback.com and you can compose complaint/compliment letters to any corporation. Great web site. Big-O had the least complaints so(Shrugs).

Brakes - New Pads and Rotors, clean & adjust Drums, repack bearings, seals

392.54 + tax. What do you guys think. I wish I could just knock this out myself but I havn't the space and the apartment complex is already complaining about me changing my F%#@ing oil.

Appreciate the help.