PDA

View Full Version : manual transmission flywheels

Alan Loshbaugh
09-22-2003, 09:51
Will a 6.5 flywheel work on my 6.2 motor? The 6.2 flywheels I've seen are a solid one piece unit, the 6.5 unit I've found has a sprung center/torsional damper affair in the middle...will it work on my 6.2, and are there any advantages, disadvantages to one setup over the other? I plan to mate it to a gm sm420 four speed...low range + diesel = waaay good crawling offroad:)

britannic
09-22-2003, 14:35
GM switched from the two-piece manual flywheel to single piece in 1994 - I don't know for what reason though. The single piece flywheel needs to have a matching pressure plate (although it will bolt on) as the early version will be too far from the flywheel to clamp correctly.

da4wheeler
09-23-2003, 14:02
I'm also curious about this, as I am not too many days away from pulling the SM 465 from my blazer and sticking it in the diesel truck. For my 83 6.2 Napa lists 2 different flywheel part numbers. They can't tell me the difference without ordering them, and I don't want to get both and then try to get them to send one back. Which unit should I be looking for?

Also... I plan to put in a hydraulic clutch. I know this requires a special bell-housing and the local dealership is willing to get me one, but does it require a special pedal assembly as well? Or can the pedal assembly off of my non-hydro clutch blazer be adapted?

-Nate