PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Question

palumbo27
09-23-2003, 21:03
I am thinking of changing the turbo on my 6.2 from the Banks T3/T4 to something else. Just don't know what else. The Banks turbo seems to spool way to slow, I would like to see boost faster and sooner than what I get now. Any ideas on which turbo to go with? I am also considering intercooling down the line. Truck is a 93 K2500LD, 6.2. Would getting rid of the EGR intake help any?

britannic
09-24-2003, 05:32
Check out the threads from DieselBoy and myself. We went with an MHI TE06H in place of the Bank's T04B. My signature has pictures of the installation below.

Let us know your EGTs and boost levels and yes, do get rid of the EGR intake as soon as you're able.

Dieselboy
09-24-2003, 06:41
Try one. You'll like it. There is almost no lag with the MHI turbo, and it's very easy to install.

Pictures of the turbo itself (http://www.oliverdiesel.com/images/6.2TD/mhiturbo/)

Pictures of the turbo installation (http://www.oliverdiesel.com/images/6.2TD/banksturbo/)

palumbo27
09-24-2003, 19:36
Boost peaks at 7PSI right now. EGT@65MPH cruise is around 500-550. Highest I ever saw was 975 pulling Mt.Eagle in TN w/6000LB trailer. I know it is performing well below what it is capable of, being that it smokes like hell when you get on it, and alittle at idle. She has some wierd quirks that I can't seem to figure out. Surging is one of them. The injectors are shot (158,500 on original injectors) and the pump was improperly rebuilt. I am going to switch to a 4911 anyway. Who makes that turbo and what applications would have it?

britannic
09-25-2003, 15:26
I would recommend getting your truck running properly before changing turbos. Install the non-EGR intake, injectors and pump, confirm the CDR valve is functioning properly and not allowing too much oil into the engine, which can cause surging.

The turbo is made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and is used by Banks' Sidewinder kits on the 6.9 and 7.3L Ford diesel engines.