PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades to a rebuilt engine.

Clay Folk
01-26-2004, 07:51
I am in the process of rebuilding my 6.2. Any general recommendations as I do this. Any thought on a dual idler gear or other aftermarket upgrades? I am interested in reliability, not so much beefing up performance. I'd like to see 400K miles.

CleviteKid
01-26-2004, 17:32
Take a look at "Naturally Aspirated Diesel" (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/avanteng.htm) for ideas about your engine. Anything that helps it breathe will keep the air and exhaust temperatures down, and improve durability and longevity.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Dieselboy
01-26-2004, 17:54
Whether for performance or economy, balancing and blueprinting the rotating assembly is a key to longevity and a "smooth as glass" engine.

It's all pretty cheap too at $100-150.

Clay Folk
01-27-2004, 04:20
I have heard of "blueprinting." What is that? Are balancing and blueprinting something any machine shop can do?

Dieselboy
01-27-2004, 06:47
Some machine shops do it, but usually you'll find that kind of service at a race engine shop. Call around to every hot rod engine place in your area; someone will know where to get it done. That's what I did when I was building my engine.

When parts are forged, there's excess material left around the edges. This excess material called "flash" is raised from the sirface of the part at a 90* angle, and that creates a possible point of weakness. Since flash isn't structural or in any way needed for the function of the part (like the crankshaft), it can be ground off. This removes a potential point of failure and increases the overall strength of the part.

It's common to perform this procedure on things like crankshafts and connecting rods, and you'll find that 5000 hp drag engines have every nook and cranny within the block blueprinted and filleted. Our engines don't turn 8000 rpm and live to tell about it, so balancing and blueprinting the crank as well as the rods and pistons will do just fine.

The only other thing that I would recommend is investing either the military service manuals or a GM service manual so that you have a complete reference. Haynes and Chiltons don't typically cover details like ring orientation and other things that, while minute, are important to include on any rebuild. Also, get a nice torque wrench or have your current one recalibrated so that everything is perfect as you start assembly.

Take your time, and enjoy it. smile.gif

GaryB
01-27-2004, 20:47
Service Manuals - Military and GM - anyone know where I can order or obtain one from.

Thanks

britannic
01-27-2004, 21:35
Click this link and download any title that has M1028, M1008, M1009 etc. in it:

Military Manuals (http://www.hmmwv.org/HMMWV/pubs.htm)