PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 to 6.5 conversion

panchosteam
09-25-2003, 14:55
Hi guys, just a few questions:
whats involved on a 6.5 conversion? do i need different type of sensors? i found a good 6.5 engine that came out from a 94 the guy says they took it out because they put gasoline in the engine instead of DIESEL, and he said that the rest of the engine should still be ok, the pump went bad , we are going to open the engine to inspect it im buying this for $2100 and it has the turbo,im helping on putting the accesories together that way i'll learn something i hope this turns good for me to enjoy this time sence i've been waiting for my truck to get repaired for so long . Thank you for your responses guys.
1984 sierra classic pick up truck
used to be a 6.2

catmandoo
09-25-2003, 17:24
everything should bolt right up but i think you need the 6.5 pump or need to turn up the 6.2 pump, as the 6.5 pump is bad thats good you couldn't use it anyway as its electronic not mechanical.

britannic
09-25-2003, 17:34
If you switch to a mechanical IP, you'll need to change the IP driven gear (and possibly the drive gear on the camshaft) as it uses a different mounting.

panchosteam
09-26-2003, 13:36
Thank you guys for your response, took off the valve covers instead of gasket was silicon ,engine looked real clean there,the only things that i'll probably need are the brackets for the altenator and power steering pump.
Do you guys think that i'll be ok with my old transmision? used to work good before i wonder if the mechanic that took my old 6.2 did'nt mess the transmission also, well im getting all exited now with this other engine hope it turns to be a good one.Thank you again

britannic
09-26-2003, 17:39
It's better to use RTV instead of a rocker cover gasket, because the more agressive detergent diesel engine oil has a habit of eating them - sames true for the oil pan, GM stopped using a gasket there as well.

If you're happy with the tranny and it is in good shape, go ahead and bolt it up.

panchosteam
09-26-2003, 19:16
I'ts me again ; i have the remainings of the an old 6.2 engine :block, heads ,alternator,intake,starter and a fuel pump looks kind of a funny one it's a small pump i don't know what i'll do with those parts .
The only thing that i remember it's that the pump has a letter J and of course some other serial numbers etc. if some one needs any of this let me know,this is not my original engine.

britannic
09-26-2003, 20:17
gmctd has an excellent article that decodes the numbers on the pump: gmctd's article (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002168)

panchosteam
09-27-2003, 09:36
Thank you BRITANIC for your quick responses , your allways there for every body thank you again. Today im going to see if the mechanical 6.5 pump arrived yet, it was supossed to be rebuilt before we put it on the engine i hope it's there and maybe i'll get to mount it on the engine and finally see it running, this is a nice experience and also a lot of fun well i have to go for now and see what happens today .
I'll let you guys know more later .

odee
09-28-2003, 11:50
before I would hand over that kind of money for the engine I would first pull the pan off and check the lower end of the block for cracks.

panchosteam
09-29-2003, 12:48
Thank you Odee i'll do that tomorrow.