PDA

View Full Version : Tips for newbies

Hearse Man
12-26-2004, 23:30
As I stated in another post, I am getting an 82 K/20 4x4 with a 6.2 diesel. I have never owned a diesel before. So I was wondering if you experenced guys could give us newbies a few tips and pointers so we don't make stupid mistakes that end up costing ourselves a bunch of cash? Or what we should be looking out for owning a diesel? What kinds of things should we know that are different maintance wise from a gas engine to a diesel engine? THX

Brianlar
12-28-2004, 17:56
I still consider myself a bit wet behind the ears, having owned a diesel for six months. However, Use Mobil Delvac 15/40 oil, every 3,000 miles. Use fuel from the same pumps the truckers use. Use Power Service Cetane Boost, with Antigel, to improve winter fuel quality. Make SURE, your batteries are in good shape. Check out the info on connector modification. Use the block heater for three to five hours, when temps are twenty degrees or below. Buy a ten dollar Ford starter solenoid, a three dollar horn button, and a spare fuel filter, and keep em in the truck. Check your battery connections regularly! Watch the exhaust for blue, oil smoke. If it smokes at start up, then cleans up, your ok. Get an external tranny cooler, and use it. These trucks will produce prodigious amounts of tourqe, so, easy on the throttle, big boy.
Best of luck, and welcome to the party. Next spring, think about using Biodiesel. Happy Holidays. BL.

NH2112
12-28-2004, 17:59
First and foremost, be VERY certain you're putting diesel in the tank if you go to one of those stations where all fuels go through one hose. Make sure to buy from high volume stations whenever you can, to help keep from getting stale fuel or fuel with water in it. Change the oil every 2500 miles, use 2-quart filters (Wix 51794, Baldwin B7, etc) for an extra quart of oil, and you might want to install a 2-micron secondary fuel filter too.

More Power
12-28-2004, 20:30
See link in sig below for info concerning dealing with cold weather.

Also, we have a Diesel Primer (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/primer.htm) article available in the Member's content area that covers many of the basics in owning a diesel pickup.

MP

ZZ
01-04-2005, 20:52
If you don't listen to any of this good advice, then never but never use Ether for no start or hard start problems. I ruined two diesel car engines doing this. A 5.7L and a 4.3L