PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Holset Turbo??

Daan
09-27-2003, 06:04
I'm looking for a nice turbo for my 6.2. Now I found a Holset HX 35 suitable for engines up to 6.5l. Are there people with any experiences with this turbo on a 6.2 , who can tell me more about how it's gonna perform?
Also I was wondering what kind of turbos did Bierman use on his TTD CUCV??
Thanks!

britannic
09-27-2003, 06:41
You may also want to check out the Garrett T04B (non-wastegated) as used in the Banks Sidewinder kit and the MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) TE06H (wastegated) turbos, they bolt right up to the Banks and 6.5LTD OEM manifolds.

The TE06H was also used by Banks on the Ford 6.9L and 7.3L engines. DieselBoy and I are using this turbo and can attest to it's zesty performance!

palumbo27
09-27-2003, 08:10
Would you say that the TE06 has raised your HP over the banks claimed 207HP/400Ftlbs or do you think it has changed the power curve to provide more usable tq/hp across the RPM range. What boost PSI are you running it up to?

Daan
09-27-2003, 10:46
My 6.2 is still N/A at this point. A banks set is way to expensive to ship it over here. So I'm looking for an alternative and that would be to find together some suitable parts and make 'm fit!

Animal
09-28-2003, 01:45
Daan,

I'll be installing either the HX35 or an HY35 on my 6.2L sometime in the next year (I have both). These are the turbo's used on the 5.9L Cummins and should work on the 6.2 or 6.5 GM diesel. They run between 20 - 25 lbs boost with the Cummins but I'd not run more than 12 lbs w/o intercooler or 15lbs w/intercooler. I feel the HY35 will be a little better match for the GM diesels as it has the smaller 9cm housing where the HX35 has 12cm housing. I'm not sure if it will direct bolt or not to the manifold but I doubt it, so you'll have to build an adapter to bolt it to the manifold. I have both the GM 6.5L manifold and the older banks unit, I'll decide which to use when I start the install. The GM manifold sets higher than the banks unit and the one that matches to the turbo best for placement is the one I'll use.

britannic
09-28-2003, 07:30
Originally posted by palumbo27:
Would you say that the TE06 has raised your HP over the banks claimed 207HP/400Ftlbs or do you think it has changed the power curve to provide more usable tq/hp across the RPM range. What boost PSI are you running it up to? I had already improved on the Bank's original horsepower rating, by fitting 6.5LTD injectors and a 4911 spec pump when I had the T04B Garrett installed (boost was 17psi and higher). The wastegated TE06H has increased low end torque and is a good match for the 4911. I've limited boost to 15psi with the wastegate and now the dual idler gear set is installed, boost hits 10 psi at 1500-2000rpm depending on load, OAT and altitude.

I never dyno'ed the engine during the upgrades, so it's very subjective, however, my wife has to work our Duramax quite hard to keep up with my truck now :D .

90LX
09-28-2003, 09:47
Britannic,
I keep playing with the idea of 4911 and injectors, but don't want the boost that high. Was it possible to keep the fuel turned down to keep boost under 15 lbs? If not, I'll just get my IP rebuilt to stock and throw in some new 6.2 injectors.

Peter J. Bierman
09-28-2003, 10:36
I use garrett M27 A/R 51 turbo's.
Wastegates set on 15 PSI max. and ajusted the housings so they would fit my home made headers.

Hope this anwers your question

Peter

britannic
09-28-2003, 12:36
Originally posted by 90LX:
Britannic,
I keep playing with the idea of 4911 and injectors, but don't want the boost that high. Was it possible to keep the fuel turned down to keep boost under 15 lbs? If not, I'll just get my IP rebuilt to stock and throw in some new 6.2 injectors. I wouldn't worry too much about the boost, an additional 15psi is nothing for the amount of pressure the cylinder is already hosting. The bigger issue is getting the air too hot if you don't have an intercooler. Another option is to drive with a light foot.

You don't need to have a 4911+6.5LTD injectors to get power with the Banks kit, the stock set up with a 1/4 turn on the pump's plunger strokes is enough to light up the tires once the boost kicks in.

Daan
09-29-2003, 07:10
Thanks for the info guys! I haven't made up my mind yet about what turbo I'm gonna use but a turbo it shall be!!
Just one more question: If one deceides to go with a twin turbo set-up, for your drivers side exhaust manifold, is it possible to use a passengers side 6.5TD manifold as a basis or is that a waste of time and is it never gonna fit on the other side, better to start from scratch and build your own manifold??

Peter J. Bierman
09-29-2003, 13:21
I did make my own for the simple reason that the turbo's wont fit any existing manifold and I could possition them where I want them to be.
If youre interested come have a look!

Peter

Daan
09-30-2003, 07:44
Peter, I'm very interested! I have seen your pics and it looks great!!

Maybe you can give me your e-mail so we can make an appointment sometime..

Thanks alot!

Daan
v8dieselpwr@hotmail.com

Dieselboy
09-30-2003, 14:09
I've got a few here. (http://www.oliverdiesel.com/friends/bierman.htm)