PDA

View Full Version : anyone going to the Run What You Brung Nationals

mtomac
10-09-2002, 18:26
Run What You Brung Nationals to Provide True Heads Up Drag Racing

excerpt from - http://www.draglist.com/dornbos/runwhatyoubrungnats.htm

In 2000, I started mulling over the various ways that a drag racing event could be structured and ultimately wrote a piece about it as a Draglist.com Story of the Day. The time has come for me to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.

I have rented the Mid-Michigan Motorplex for Saturday, October 12, 2002, and am planning a one-day race. Several things make this event unique:

# Every racer goes three rounds, there is no elimination
# There are no classes, regardless of vehicle type, everybody is in one class, run what you brung
# It's ALL heads-up drag racing, there is NO bracket racing at this event.

WOW! How can we do this so the hobbyist and sportsman can afford it?

In the first round (after three rounds of qualifying), the #1 qualifier is paired with the #2 qualifier, the #3 vs. #4, #5 vs. #6, and so on to the end of the entries (maximum is 200). The winner of each pair moves up for the next round to race the loser of the pair just above them on the qualifying list. The losers of the round drop back to race the winners of the heats just below. This way, the winners keep moving up to race faster opponents and the losers keep moving down to race against slower opponents. I have an acquaintance here that refers to this as "test-n-tune plus." There is no need for buy-backs because everyone races all the rounds.

The first question that bracket racers typically ask is: how will we keep people from sandbagging? I am splitting the spectator gate with the racers and EVERY racer will get a portion, which will be calculated totally from his (or her) qualifying time. There is no extra inducement for winning.

Doug Dornbos
www.runwhatyoubrung.com