PDA

View Full Version : Are their different Power Steering Pumps?

FWBennett
12-06-2004, 15:03
OK - all my experience is based on my 84 Subdivision. I bought a Long Block and I understand sometimes you can run into BIG problems with hanging all the accessories onto a different block than the one your rig came with. Everyting seems to bolt up nicely EXCEPT for the Power Steering Pump - the front bracket fits fine but the small rear bracket (the L shaped one that has one bolt to the block and has an arc in it for the movement of the pump to tighten the belt. The stud from the pump is about 1 1/2 to 2" short of the arc! Has anyone had an experience like this? Is there a wider (deeper?) PS pump available? Maybe these Heads stick out more forward? OR am I spacing out and there's one more piece from the pump to the bracket?
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

john8662
12-06-2004, 20:47
You shouldn't have any problems with that bracket, what engine are you installing, are you putting a 6.5 where a 6.2 was? That bracket bolts to the block if I'm not mistaken, the small L bracket that just bolts on with one bolt on the backside of the p/s pump right?

FWBennett
12-07-2004, 15:15
I'm replacing a 6.2 with a 6.2, and yes it's the little L bracket with one bolt to the block and the arc going to the stud on the back of the PS pump - I've got Wayyyy too much space between the two. Gonna hafta measure the old & new motors - as soon as my back is in good enough shape again!

john8662
12-08-2004, 11:00
I went out to my shop and checked a few of my engines. I looked at my 86 pickup which is currently apart for the gear drive install, etc. The bracket the mounts to the block comes out just a little past, but almost even with the block front. I have a few engines sitting in corners, an 82 model, and 86 model, and a 91 model block. I measured the bolt hole on the block and they all come out the same. I don't think that mounting spot has changed. Something you might look at is the other brackets that are installed before the power steering pump and bracket. I've never ran into this problem, I've installed an 86 model 6.2 where an 82 model one was, and an 86 model 6.2 into another 86. The 91 model 6.2 that I have sitting my engine stand came out of an 82 truck, but that bracket was missing :rolleyes: . The only other bracket that it could be is the other half S bracket that mounts to the stud on the back of the power steering pump. If thats missing, it might give what you're seeing. I'll try and dig through some parts and see if that one is different.

FWBennett
12-08-2004, 11:36
Ahhh - are you saying there's another piece BETWEEN the L bracket that bolts to the block and the Stud comming from the Power Steering Pump? So the stud of the Pump doesn't go directly THROUGH the arc of the L bracket? - if so please describe the intermediate piece.
thanks!

84 C2B2
12-12-2004, 10:31
There are two brackets involved in this GM mess. An "L" shaped bracket off the engine (with one hole and a slot) and a bracket that bolts to the pump housing(has a hole for the pump stud and a welded nut for the bolt off the "L" shaped bracket. Make sure you bolt this one up before you start adjusting the belt or you will have a 1/2" - 3/4" gap. Don't run without this also.

Jerry

FWBennett
12-12-2004, 21:54
Hi Jerry - thanks so much for the help - but I don't have the secondary bracket between the pump and the block's bracket - I don't think it was there when I bought the Suburban (which may explain the broken front bracket that I had to weld). Do you know if this is a Diesel Only part or it may be on other GM products?

waorth
12-13-2004, 08:38
In my 85 parts catalog it is only listed for the 6.2l (C/K):
GM # 14033881 Brace, Hydraulic Pump
This is the small L-bracket bolted to the pump. At gmparts.com however this number doesn't show any results. So maybe it has been superseded.

GM # 14033880 Hydr. Pump Rear Adjuster
This is the larger L-bracket mounted to the block with a slot on the other end.

Regards. Walter