PDA

View Full Version : Installing Timing Fixture On injector pump

TomEichenberger
01-31-2004, 15:13
OK, this is the year. With 230000+ on the Burb, it's time to replace the front main seal; and if I'm gunna replace the seal, I guess I ought to replace the vibration dampener; and if I'm going to all this trouble, I suppose i ought to replace the timing set,so.....

1-With 230000(+) on the engine is it worth installing a DSG gear set?(Note; Compression is great, it starts on 2-3 cranks, even at 20 degrees, without the block heater plugged in, and this beast is a flat out joy.)

2-Perhaps having answered my own question, the next one concerns finding TDC

Haynes says to find TDC with a Dial indicator,
on number one cylinder, and then backing
it off 360 degrees to TDC on # 6.(Did I read ,this correctly?)

When this is done, what about the injection pump? Haynes says use KentMoore Timing Fixture J-33042 or equivalent. Having been quoted $300(+) for this fixture(maybe I gave them the wrong #?) What is the equivalent. Any members help in performing this timing fixture proceedure, (including est. time) would be most appreciated.

britannic
01-31-2004, 20:43
Timing gears are highly recommended, you will notice crisper throttle reponse and real ease of setting the dynamic timing, also there may be a small improvement in mpg. The real question is whether it's worth investing the extra money in a 230K engine.

EWC
02-01-2004, 08:02
The Kent Moore tool is used to mark the timing chain cover for TDC if none exists . I found one on Ebay for about $35.00 but have never used it . If you have a mark , I don't think you would need this tool .