PDA

View Full Version : what to look for

meangreen9c1
12-31-2004, 00:53
I'm going to look at a 6.2 Blazer soon and I was hoping I could get some ideas on what to look for since I've never had a dsl. TIA, Jon

meangreen9c1
12-31-2004, 03:44
No one else gets to work these "great" hours?

More Power
12-31-2004, 19:24
Discovering how well the engine starts after an overnight shut-down will tell you a lot about the glow system, injection system, fuel supply system, engine compression, starter, and batteries. Depending on the overnight low temperature, the engine should start quickly and begin running smoothly soon after starting. There may be some white smoke during startup, but it should quickly disappear as the engine continues to run.

A new or re-manufactured DB2 fuel injection system could last anywhere from 50,000 to 400,000 miles, but the average is in the neighborhood of 120,000 to 150,000 miles. Also, these engines and the vehicles they're in will require some periodic maintenance if the mileage is anything over 100,000 miles. It comes with the territory. To be happy with an older GM diesel you should be willing to do some or most of this maintenance (including the fuel injection system) or you could be disappointed with the cost of hiring a diesel mechanic.

Do your best to have someone experienced with the GM diesel evaluate this potential truck purchase for you. Their experience with the correct engine running characteristics will be invaluable. A diesel engine makes a lot of noise. Being able to evaluate good and bad noises comes with experience.

The 6.2 and the mechanical fuel injected 6.5 diesels are simple and relatively inexpensive to maintain once you understand the rudimentary principles of diesel fuel injection and become familiar with operating a diesel engine. The Diesel Page will also help you enjoy your "new" diesel and will save you considerable expense in maintenance.

Good Luck,

MP

ZZ
01-04-2005, 20:48
One of the first things I check for on any GM diesel is the coolant in the overflow tank for swirling while the engine is running. If it is empty then add some. This will tell you real quick if a head gasket is blown and/or a cracked head.

meangreen9c1
01-05-2005, 11:24
What I'm really after is a "m1009" Blazer, My brother bought one not to long ago and loves it but he's still learning about them too. Thanks for the tips but:
1) is it good or bad if the coolant is circulating in the tank?

2) Are the CUCVs "multi-fuel"?

3) is there an aftermarket A/C system on the market (FL gets hot once in a while) or are the tops with the rear vent windows common?

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions,
also I'm not scared to do my own maint. but I'd just as soon find a truck that I won't need to do much to for a while