PDA

View Full Version : New FSD Cooler needs attention!

TURBOTREK
07-11-2004, 05:54
I just recieved a new FSD cooler and thought, this looks like it will do the trick. I did a trial mount with an old FSD to the plate. It looked as though the FSD was not touching in the center after being torqued in place, I could see light between the 2 surfaces. I ran a straight edge across the cooler plate and sure enough, there was a 64th or so warp in the center as opposed to the edges. I realize the heat conductive paste will take up this gap but with heat transfer being everything with these units one would think you would want metal to metal contact to start with. Has anyone seen this before? Could it add to the FSD failures we have been seeing ? Your comments would be appriciated. Thanks

HowieE
07-11-2004, 06:21
The first thing I would do is return the cooler. Good heat transfer to a heatsink is a function of the contact area.
Bill Heath epoxy the FSD to the heat sink to insure the maximum heat transfer.
When you finaly get ready to mount your cooler mount it outside the engine area to take advantage of the lowest possible air temperature you can find.

Low_Bridge
07-11-2004, 09:07
What make did you buy?

Kennedy
07-11-2004, 10:34
The REAL FSD cooler has a machined flat surface for the driver to mount on. I believe that this is more to correct for a poor extrusion die, but nonetheless, it is machined flat. The mon machined surface is terribly bowed and is not suitable for mounting the driver as is.

If you have a genuine Beta FSD cooler and it is warped, I'd suggest returning it for exchange. If you bought one of them from Ebay, good luck...

TURBOTREK
07-11-2004, 18:38
Thanks for the feedback, I purchased it from a major diesel supply house who's name I will leave out for now until I talk with them. I wonder how many of these go out this way and how many end users don't check it and have a shotened FSD life due to this? The company also states in the instructions to remove the plastic transistor covers to help with the heat tranfer, does this sound right? Thanks again.

Barry Nave
07-12-2004, 02:58
Remove cover, helps in the :cool: ing ;)

Kennedy
07-12-2004, 05:46
Originally posted by TURBOTREK:
Thanks for the feedback, I purchased it from a major diesel supply house who's name I will leave out for now until I talk with them. I wonder how many of these go out this way and how many end users don't check it and have a shotened FSD life due to this? The company also states in the instructions to remove the plastic transistor covers to help with the heat tranfer, does this sound right? Thanks again. Is this the black anodized cooler with green sikscreeening on it?

TURBOTREK
07-12-2004, 17:53
I spoke with the company I got the cooler from, Huccsdorf Diesel in Wisconsin. They agreed this is not the norm and they would send me a replacement. The cooler is not anodized it looks to be milled aluminium. The back of the cooler where the FSD mounts has abrasion marks on it as though it were machined or even skuffed up a bit, why? possibly to aid the heat conductive compound? Anyway, If after I get the new one and if it is flat, I wonder if it can warp given the FSD mas no mounting right in the center? Maybe I am overthinking this but after reading posts on FSD failures even with the cooler it makes me wonder if they can move! Thoughts? Thanks

Kennedy
07-13-2004, 07:52
I'd like to point out that this obviously is NOT the Beta cooler. The Beta cooler is named FSD Cooler hence the confusion when a cheap knockoff is referred to by the same name.

This isn't rocket science, but truth be told, if they can't even get the surface flat... :rolleyes: