PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 fast idle solenoid plunger

Bill C
02-10-2004, 20:09
Does anyone know of a solenoid I can use to replace the factory GM Fast Idle Solenoid Plunger on my 91 6.2 Jimmy? What I am looking for is a solenoid that is strong enough to move the pump to fast idle (cold start) when I use my remote starter. When I had the pump and injectors replaced at 185k, the only parts for fast idle they could find were for an ambulance at a cost of $745.oo. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill C.

john8662
02-11-2004, 07:50
The problem with the fast idle on the 6.2 is that you really have to push down on the accelerator petal to give the help it needs to extend and hold. I don't know if what your looking for is in existance though. Does a remote start work well on a 6.2 anyways? Just curious.

John

britannic
02-11-2004, 08:17
Check out the radio control world for a servo or stepper motor that you can hook into the fast idle circuit (it wouldn't be controlled by radio control any more of course) and replace the fast idle solenoid.

panchosteam
02-11-2004, 09:48
Hi guys:

panchosteam
02-11-2004, 10:01
Hi guys, sorry about that one, on the mobile electronics industry, we have solenoids that you can buy for trunk release purposes, and can be purchased on how many pounds pull you need it, i think that even the basic one will do the trick,seems to me like it has the pull you need, but if you connect this to the wire that was connected to your fast iddle solenoid i don't know how long power can be aplied to it before going out, well it is a larger solenoid so if the small one can take it for about 5 or so minutes then probably one of this can take power for longer time (they are like 3 or 4 times bigger) and do not forget, this solenoids pull insted of pushing, about the remote starter can you tell more?

1984 GMC SIERRA CLASSIC NOW WITH 6.5 TD 400 TRANSMISSION AND NOT HAPPY THE WAY IT RUNS, COULD IT BE MY TRANSMISSION?

Bill C
02-11-2004, 12:01
Hi and thanks for the fast response to my question! An online search found a company called Trombetta. They make heavy duty solenoids that have one to one and a half inch travel. I need 3/16".
The remote starter works great! All I have to remember is to install the adjustable curtain rod (walmart=$2.00) from the seat to the pedal so it will start. (This is what I want to eliminate.) When it gets below 15 degrees, I plug it in. Its an ASTROSTART made in Canada. (Astrostart.com??) It senses the voltage loss during the glow plug cycle before engaging the starter. Most units use a timer-had one=not good! I get the warmup in the winter and the cool down in the summer. The Astrostart is expensive ($350-$400) but they backup their product 100%. I also had it on my 94, 96 & 98 6.5's. Thanks!