PDA

View Full Version : Stan`s Headers

C.K. Piquup
12-16-2004, 06:08
Has anyone used the 6.2 headers from Stan`s?If so,were there any fitment issues?What was done for a/c bracket?

More Power
12-21-2004, 14:18
JK sold them for a time. He even brought a set to one of our earlier Rendezvous' for show-n-tell. He might be able to answer a question about fit. I don't know if he still offers them.

However, given the low rpm of these engines, I would wonder about the benefits over the OEM cast iron.

MP

C.K. Piquup
12-22-2004, 03:27
Thanks MorePower.I`ll run those Qs by JK.I here people say,not much benefit w/headers.I figure they help in bottom-end as well as top-end,Dr.Lee did his mods to cast manifolds to lessen restriction,and header collectors are 3" making a perfect transition for 3" exhaust system.They do make a pricey start for an exhaust system.You`re 1/2 way to a Banks Stinger system.By the time you run-out the dual 3",crossover,and 2 Ricors you are probably 1/2 way to buying a Sidewinder kit.This is what I,m pondering.I do need an exhaust soon.

More Power
12-22-2004, 09:15
You might want to ask The Diesel Depot (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/avant.htm) about N/A 6.5 exhaust manifolds. I know they took in a batch of engines a while back. They may have been equipped with manifolds... I believe the later N/A manifolds are more free-flowing than some of the earlier "C" series 6.2's.

MP

CleviteKid
12-22-2004, 18:45
I did my mods to the exhaust back in 1994 before there was a DieselPage.com, and I did not know about the newer 6.5L manifolds. It would be too much of a hassle for me to adapt the 3" duals to the different angles on the newer manifolds, but if I were doing an exhaust from scratch, I would use the later 6.5L NA manifolds.

I have often stated that at the relatively low RPM's our engines turn, there is not a real advantage to be gained from headers over the cast iron manifolds. Also, the cast iron will last forever while the steel headers rust out.

Dr. Lee :cool:

C.K. Piquup
12-23-2004, 04:08
OK,then.The vehicle is my`91 Suburban,so...guess I got`em?If I though either one of you knew what you were talking about,I`d take your advise......Thanks so much for the good advise.Couldn`t have come from two better sources.

NH2112
12-23-2004, 20:36
I ran a set of Stan's headers on the IH 304 in my Scout, they were VERY well-made but I didn't really see much of an increase in power. The IH V8s were very much like diesels in that they were torquey, low-RPM engines, and if I'd known then what I know now...

Maybe you can find a set of humvee headers, I don't know how they'd fit in a C/K truck but it's an idea.

CleviteKid
12-25-2004, 06:58
C.K. - if the driver side manifold exits straight down just about right under the no. 5 cylinder, and the exhaust pipe is necked down to 1-7/8" to clear the bolts holding the pipe to the manifold, you have the old style cast iron manifolds.

If the driver side manifold exits at the back, sort of at a 45 degree angle, similar to the passenger side, and the exhaust is NOT necked down, you have the newer cast iron manifolds.

Dr. Lee :cool:

NH2112
12-27-2004, 19:08
In case anyone's interested: Humvee headers on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=7944248599&category=33632)