PDA

View Full Version : Primary fuel filter

dieseldummy
04-26-2005, 19:01
I have found a fuel filter head from a 80's model 6.2 equipt pickup. It says primary filter on it. It is the screw on style filter like an oil filter. What part number filter goes one this and what is the micron ration of it? Any help would be appreciated because I would like to replace my stock 6.5 filter element with it.

Justin

BobND
04-26-2005, 20:57
The WIX filter for that application is #33123.

It is listed as a fuel filter/water seperator with drain. (12 Micron)

The matching secondary filter is a WIX #33134 which is 6 Micron.

wthif
04-27-2005, 11:22
Originally posted by dieseldummy:
I have found a fuel filter head from a 80's model 6.2 equipt pickup. It says primary filter on it. It is the screw on style filter like an oil filter. What part number filter goes one this and what is the micron ration of it? Any help would be appreciated because I would like to replace my stock 6.5 filter element with it.

Justin Why do you want to go to this type of fuel filter? Also if you are looking for the other filter base I have one.

NH2112
04-27-2005, 12:22
Personally, I'd use a filter like this Racor 490 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4543549337&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT), with a 2-micron element (R90S), as my secondary. At the prices these are going for (about 1/4 of list) I'd actually go ahead and buy 2, and use one with the "P" element (30 micron) as the primary filter. These filters are really an order of magnitude better than what the factory installed. If you're short on space, you can use elements from a 445 or 460 since they're smaller and will fit on the 490 head.

dieseldummy
04-27-2005, 17:32
I just found this filter head laying around so I thought maybe I could put it to good use. My factory 6.5 filter is covered up by my intake, so I figured if I could make this one work I could mount it on the firewall and be able to change it without having to take off the upper intake. Does anyone know if a filter of different micron rating can be used on this filter head?

wthif
04-29-2005, 10:19
Here is an option for mounting what you already got on the fire wall. I know your fire wall is different but might give you some ideas. I put this together real quick one weekday. 30 minutes tops.

truck stuff (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wthif/my_photos) photo album

I still need to take it off and dress it up but it works great. Easy to reach too.

--sorry about dead link to photo try this link--

[ 04-30-2005, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: wthif ]

dieseldummy
04-30-2005, 18:57
wtif,
I have thought of that idea, but have been a little on the lazy side and didn't want to fabricate something up. That does look good though, a little grinder and rattle can and it will look like a manufactured product. :cool: