PDA

View Full Version : Tranny oil cooler line break

Dihrdbowti
07-11-2004, 08:37
I was under the truck this morning dropping the downpipe to add the EGT sender (I hardly do any towing and it's very light when I do so it's mainly for turbo cool down) and noticed that there is a compression fitting that is leaking in the cooler line. When the tranny was rebuilt not long ago the tranny guys said that they had a fitting that was toast but they were able to make a repair that will not be a problem. Yeah not for them they are in Michigan and I live in Nevada. Anyway I'm getting ready to take a trip to Texas and I don't have the time to replace the line completely. Can I cut out the compression fitting and replace it with a short piece of rubber and double clamp both ends?? This is on the return side from the cooler to the tranny. I know this is a low pressure system and some aftermarket tranny coolers use rubber and hose clamps. Would this work long enough to get me there and back? I promise I will replace the lines when I get home. :D

ttpost
07-11-2004, 09:05
have you tried re-tightning the compression fittings. proper repair is cheaper than a tow and a fix on the road :D

Dihrdbowti
07-11-2004, 09:56
I will do that and keep an eye on the back window for oil spray and the tranny temp. I will bring along the parts and if I get enough time on the trip maybe I can get them swapped out. I will be meeting my brother there so between the two of us we should be able to knock it out quickly. I will also bring along a quick repair kit for the road. I don't have a problem working under the truck on the side of the road for a quick repair. Hopefully I wont have to. ;)