PDA

View Full Version : Changed my lift pump yesterday

gamerunner2001
02-15-2004, 13:08
Changed my mechanical lift pump yesterday and put a new fuel filter in after getting the beast running. Everything was fine. Today I took the beast back in the shop to clean the interior for a trip. After getting everything done I went to start the beast up and it started up but killed right away. I attempted to start it again and it wouldn't start. Went and bled the fuel filter, got a few air bubbles. Had to crank it twice to get it to start, ran a little rough for a few minutes then fine. Going to let it sit for a couple hours and try it again. Anyone have this happen when changing a lift pump? The beast has never done that in 70000 miles with a Jasper remanfauctured 6.2 Open to suggestions

1986 suburban 6.2
270,000 miles on the beast
70,000 on the remanfactured motor

john8662
02-15-2004, 17:49
Sounds like its getting air in the system somewhere. I would check the fuel filter housing for any wet-spots, then check the connections at the lift pump to make sure everything is good and tight and not a source for air suction. Just driving it should get all the air out of the system, where as just starting it and letting it run a little while, then shut down won't always get it all out.

gamerunner2001
02-15-2004, 17:59
Thanks John-- Had a little problem getting this fuel filter to fit on snug at the bottom. Going to pop the hood in the morning and take a look as well as check the conections

Brian