PDA

View Full Version : Warning about buying from REMANUFACTURED.com

FWBennett
05-02-2005, 12:18
OK this is MY tale of woe but I'd like to warn my Oil Burning Breatherin.
My Suburban's 6.2 had seen better days. The decision to rebuild/replace had to be made. In the effort to have the rig's down-time kept to a minimum I thought I'd go the "Rebuilt long-block" route for the first time in my life (typically I tear it all down - take the appropriate parts to the machine shop, purchase the other parts and assemble it myself. It was November and I didn't want it to go into the holidays or the New Year. A search of the internet found the best price + shipping + core charge with a place in Illinois called Remanufactured.com with satelite offices in LasVegas and someplace in the south. They have a one year warranty and offer a $350 limit on damages that you can claim (know any mechanic that will pull a bad motor and re-install for $350?? - not in California!!!) The transaction was made and the motor arrived. I installed it on weekends and hours after work. With great difficulty I got it started, took some more time fixing some oil leaks of mine. I returned the Core on Jan 11,05. I then took my new motor to the mechanic to have the timing set and have it looked over. He had it for several days and at one point it flat out stopped wanting to start - a compression test quickly determined the problem - 180# in #4 and 220# in #6 - he didn't go any further. I had it towed back to my house and removed the motor and shipped it back. Their mechanic said that 2 pre-combustion cups were just rattling loose - correct me if I'm wrong but even if they are loose aren't they still sealed within the compustion, head gasket area??? so that shouldn't affect compression?? - anyways the 2 cups were in one head - he promised me they would replace BOTH heads and call me with the compression results before he shipped it out. The kept my new motor for over a month (I'd call ever 2 or 3 days). I finally got the motor back. It was obvious that only one head had been tampered with, this time they didn't include the remaining gaskets from the gasket set, the mechanic never called me with the compression results. I re-installed the motor, had a slightly easier time starting it but no where near what it should be to start. Had to take the Boy Scouts camping before I took it to the mechanic - it had a hard time starting when cold and on the way back after it had gone about 40mi and I dropped them off I tried starting it when warm and ended up having to call AAA to give me a jump start cuz I'd run the batteries down trying to start it! I took it to the mechanic to have the timing set, and bump up the fuel pump some cuz it's sluggish. He just called me back saying that this "fixed" motor has low compression also! So here I am having installed this motor for the 2nd time. They still have not paid me back my core charge (I call once or twice a week - they promis that the check is in the mail!) And a lot of luck I'll have collecting the measily $350 damages they alow, also! I'M not wanting to remove the motor AGAIN or send it back AGAIN or wait another MONTH while they do who knows what, while I wait - only to have a 3rd bad motor???
I've contacted the Illinois Consumer Affairs - they're having me fill out a report.
There you have it - Don't say I didn't warn you!
Anybody got any advice?
-thanks for listening!

shamanie
05-02-2005, 17:27
Jeez, what an F-in nightmare. Good to know man. Thanks for the heads up.

Better Business Bureau
Write a letter to the owner 2 a week till you get a response.
Call everyday. Bother the same guy everyday. If he's "out to lunch" Bother someone else.
Make a complete nusiance of yourself.

Good luck man.