PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 engine failure

JG62
02-16-2004, 18:14
After 8000 miles and a year after the warranty was up on my rebuilt 6.2 ,my motor has failed.I heard a knocking noise since day one,I thought it was probably "normal diesel noise" .Now I think it wasn't normal and wish I had addressed it. My pulley and balancer were new and I have the dsg gears.I am interested in finding out what happened to my motor.The engine rebuilder had very good references.I kind of feel like just getting rid of it but finances won't allow me to purchase a new F%*d 6.0 Ex%$@#$on.Hopefully I can redo it and prevent a future failure.We'll see.

britannic
02-16-2004, 18:53
Any more details on the kind of failure you experienced (e.g. rod through the side of the block etc.)?

JG62
02-16-2004, 19:14
I just got it towed home.All I noticed was a little antifreeze under the pan and the motor is just about seized up.I can't see anything obvious yet.It turns a little bit.It let go at about 2600 rpms and maybe 850 900 degrees.I was pushing kind of hard up a hill.I had just downshifted the GV overdrive down a few seconds before.The oil on the dipstick looks ok .I had just changed the oil before that trip.I might get the oil analyzed.This engine has a banks turbo also.

NH2112
02-16-2004, 19:58
There's not much besides a thrown rod or broken crank that will lock an engine up. I'd go ahead and take an oil sample, then finish draining it and pull the pan off. You never know, you might find that it's something that can be repaired in-chassis and won't require a rebuild or new engine. If not, I have a disassembled 6.2L w/good '82 block I'm willing to let go for cheap - a friend convinced me to go with a 6.5L because he just got a late-model one in his shop that had been overheated.

JG62
02-17-2004, 05:56
thanks, Phil. I will consider your offer. It all depends on how much damage there is and what the rebuilder has to say about this.

JG62
02-17-2004, 05:59
phil,do you mean the accesories are off the motor or that the motor itself is disassembled pistons, rods,crank?

NH2112
02-17-2004, 13:49
The engine is completely disassembled, except the piston pins haven't been pressed out (and the heads are together.) My old block was cracked through all the main journals so I got a new block to assemble everything on and put back in my K10.

gphudgins
03-07-2004, 07:48
Your motor sounds familiar. I had a 6.2 rebuild in a motor home let go at 1,000 miles. Broken crank. Believe it or not the pistons were unside down. Never knew it. Like you just had the normal diesel knock. Heads survived.
Good luck

JG62
03-09-2004, 10:27
thanks for your reply.I'm surprised at how many people have had cranks break up. I haven't had time to look at mine yet. I wish I had known about the 599 blocks or the military blocks before the rebuild. I really went out of my way to make sure everything was right.Maybe next time I will try the 19:1 marine pistons. I will decide that when I see what actually happened.