PDA

View Full Version : Looked at '93 6.5L truck, decided to pass....

arveetek
12-21-2004, 17:43
I looked at a '93 C2500 this evening. It's actually quite a nice looking truck. Extended cab, long bed, Silverado, 6.5L TD, 5 speed, new paint, decent interior, full power. I'm really not interested in another 2WD truck, though. But I would like the extended cab.

Engine started great even though it was cold, sounds good, runs great, shifts smoothly, steering tight. Here's the kicker: 215,000 miles, owned by a car dealer, and he's used it the last year and a half to tow his car trailer. Gooseneck ball in the bed. You know this thing has been run hard and put up wet. No telling if it's the original motor or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. There's a lot of blow-by coming out of the oil filler cap, and even coming out past the dipstick.

Here's why I looked at it though: he's only asking $3995! (Originally priced at $4995) Can't find 'em much cheaper than that. Oh well, I promised myself I wouldn't buy another truck unless it was 4WD.

Every time I test drive a used truck, it always makes me appreciate my old '81, and at how well it drives and how tight it feels. You can tell right away if a truck has been taken care of and if it's in good shape or not.

I do love my old 6.2L! I've pretty much decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and install a dual idler gear set in it. Should make it run even better than ever!

Casey

john8662
12-21-2004, 19:44
Casey,

You're not missing much not buying that truck at all, that one sounds like it needs an engine, and that makes the truck $$ a lot more!

On the gear idea, DO IT! I just got my truck back together, between the new injection pump and the gears I am really impressed with the truck now, it's never run so great. The gears do make noise though, I'll get used to it for the extra diesel rattle though.

C.K. Piquup
12-22-2004, 03:12
John,is this on your namesake C/10?

john8662
12-22-2004, 07:17
CK,

Yep the the work was done on my ol 86 pickup. Its had a running condition for quite some time, poor idle quality, smokey starts, harder cold starts.

It was a project long coming.