PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Starter

bmiszuk
05-06-2005, 06:26
Looks like it's time for a starter. Sometimes it will not spin, sometimes it's slow, and sometimes it's fine.

I've browsed the forum regarding old/new style starter and can't draw a firm conclusion. Does switching to the newer starter offer slower cranks but is more reliable? Is the new starter the same as the gear-reductions starters that are available through ebay?

Looks like the price is the same either way, about $135-150.

john8662
05-06-2005, 09:34
Tough call really. The newer starter that you're referring to is the 28MT starter and it is the gear reduction starter. In my experience with the two starters I would say that the gear reduction starter is just as you described, cranks slower but is more reliable. Believe it or not, my original starter on my 86 still works like a dream, not the gear reduction type, and it will always start the engine with just bumping the key. You can't do that with the gear reduction starter. The gear reduction starter is easier on the batteries though.

Just a tip if you want to make the "upgrade" to the 28MT, you will need a new starter brace, the brace that fits the big heavy starter won't work on the newer starter. So you'll need to take a trip to your local dealer and get one, it's the same part for a 6.5TD in case you have a hard time getting the dealer to find it. It's under $5 in price.

ZZ
05-06-2005, 13:34
I highly recommend the new style starter. I made the change on an '85 Chev 6.2L and was pleased with the results. You probably would too.

bmiszuk
05-06-2005, 19:27
ZZ, what was so much better about it?

-Bob

CleviteKid
05-08-2005, 09:17
I am in the same camp as John8662, I have the big old straight 27MT starter on my 84, and it starts the new tight 6.5L engine in about 1/3 of a second. I believe that if all is correct, the old starter will spin your engine faster.

You can bet that GM introduced the reduction gear starter when the price of gears dropped below the price of copper windings, and not for any improved performance.

Dr. Lee :cool:

britannic
05-09-2005, 05:35
Our NAPA starter rebuilder says: A gear reduction starter delivers more torque with less current draw on the battery, they're also about half the weight and therefore don't put as much strain on the block.

The motor spins in the 10,000 rpm range and the gears ensure that the engine will turn over at normal or better cranking speeds.

bmiszuk
05-09-2005, 16:25
Well tonight I installed a rebuilt old style starter (lifetime warranty from Autozone for $145). I did not want to wait for a gear starter from ebay; we need the vehicle. All I can say is WOW what a difference! It started quicker than I could get off the key :D It's never started this fast since I bought the vehicle.

The old starter must have been dying for a while and recently when I was running with two bad batteries I bet I killed it off the rest of the way. It was really laboring to start with the bad batteries. Inside the old starter it had a burnt electric smell and there were missing/burnt contacts (?) on the armature itself.

It goes to show you that there's more to starting that just batteries, or just a starter, or just cables. I've replaced all of those now and starting it is a whole different (and pleasant) experience.

Thanks to all those who replied.

Bob.

ZZ
05-09-2005, 17:00
Originally posted by bmiszuk:
ZZ, what was so much better about it?

-Bob The truck seemed to crank faster than ever. It was a heck a lot easier handling it since it is so much lighter. I'm partial to gear reduction.

Jgreemo
05-11-2005, 14:36
Looking to put a new starter in this weekend. To go with the 28MT, do I just ask for a starter for 1990 truck? How much variation was there in flexplate teeth between the years?

Thanks,
Jon

BobND
05-11-2005, 14:53
The tooth count is the same from 1982 'til at least 1996, after that I don't know.

Be sure to get the brace for the gear reduction style starter.