PDA

View Full Version : Air induction into my NA 6.5L?

Quack_Addict
02-20-2004, 09:17
Now that the temperatures have been above zero for a couple days, I am starting to think about working on my junk again.

My 1987 K20 Suburban has a naturally aspirated 6.5L that I transplanted in place of an abused 6.2L last year (the vehicle's previous owner committed the equivalent of murder when he ran the engine out of oil!). The wheels have been turning in my head over the course of the winter and I have an idea I want to run by you guys...

Operating under the principle that maximum air flow is good for a Diesel, my 6.5L's air induction system seems to have some roadblocks in it. The core support has approximately a 3.5"-4" diameter baffle in it that runs into the 'air box'. The air box then necks down to probably 1.5"-2" in daimeter at one point, before stepping back up to a 3.5-4" hose. This hose then goes into the oval shaped port on the air cleaner.

Would I be better off getting rid of the 'air box' and just running some appropriately size clothes drier style flex tube? Is there a practical reason why the air box chokes the air flow down? The only thing I can think of is with a straight piece of hose, an audible howl might be created (resonance chamber)??? Can I expect a performance increase (or detrement) by doing such a mod?

Peter J. Bierman
02-20-2004, 13:46
The more free flow you can create the better.
You might want to try getting some ram air effect by putting the intake hoes pointed to the front and scoop up the air.( you scoop up some more dust and debri too )
But if you do not give the engine more fuel, you will not get more power.

Peter

CleviteKid
02-20-2004, 16:17
I replaced the original air cleaner on my 1984, with its plastic muffler - water trap - whatever, which had the 1.5" necked down hole. The consensus then was that intake noise would be too high with no muffler. WRONG. I ran a 4" hose to the radiator support, got fresh ram air, and heard NO DIFFERENCE in noise.

Right now, to make working around the intake manifold easier for my latest "Research Project", I am running a little 7" round, 4" high air filter with no housing, and I get TERRIBLE resonance and howls above 1300 RPM. But when the "Research Project" is over, and the original SWANGER AIR goes back on, it will be nice and quiet again, except when the "Research Project" modifications are activated.

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/person/znaika.gif

84 Convert
02-21-2004, 23:55
Doc's always in the R&D mode... yippee! I can't wait, I can't wait! I all seriousness, I've gotta do some of that sort of thing on the crew cab once the head gasket issue is sorted out. I'm thinking of making a custom filter housing that will fit a standard 14" reusable type filter. On your SAA filter housing did you just use a piece if sheetmetal to make the snorkel? That is sort of the direction I am thinking of taking.

Gregg

P.S. I seriously CAN'T wait to see what the little red rocket will do after this next round of R&D!

CleviteKid
02-22-2004, 05:04
Hi Greg:

I did indeed just wrap up a piece of sheet metal to make the snorkel fastened to the side of my "Swanger Air" air cleaner. For others that may want to try the same thing, mock it up with heavy paper or light cardboard first. When you get it where you want it, then transfer your pattern to metal.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Dieselboy
02-22-2004, 08:04
Doc, where do you get all these emoticons?!

Quack_Addict
02-24-2004, 07:07
I replaced the original air cleaner on my 1984, with its plastic muffler - water trap - whatever, which had the 1.5" necked down hole. Personally, I think it's an acorn trap... the only thing mine has ever done for me was to trap some acorns that a squirrel (or other rodent) decided to hide in there.

I've had more problems with acorns, acorn hiding creatures and Chevy trucks... ;) It's the only drawback I have found, so far, to living out in the country... smile.gif

I think I might have to get out the tin snips and drier hose this weekend for a little fab work.

blazer84
03-01-2004, 20:02
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
Hi Greg:

I did indeed just wrap up a piece of sheet metal to make the snorkel fastened to the side of my "Swanger Air" air cleaner.
Dr. Lee :cool: Doc, I've searched before, but can't find the complete description of the Swanger Air setup. (just interestion bits like it uses a pair of stcked 442 elements). Can you describe the whole system?

Eric

CleviteKid
03-02-2004, 07:02
Hi Eric,

You hit me in a weak spot, one of my favorite movies from the sixties in which the star played three different roles.

To make a "Swanger Air" system, you take the stock air cleaner housing and split it in two horizontally. Then you wrap it with a band of steel to raise the top 2 inches higher than it was, and stick it all together. TIG welding would be elegant, but I used Pop rivets and epoxy. This will now hold a pair of 14" x 3" filters, or one 14" x 6" Amsoil filter - my current setup.

Cut a big hole (about 4" x 7") in the side of the stretch housing facing the bracket for the discarded "acorn trap" and make a snorkel that covers the big hole and attaches to the acorn trap bracket. Punch out the pre-positioned 4" hole in the radiator support and run a 4" hose from the snorkel to just behind the grille. And you are done.

Looks like this:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/avanteng3.jpg

For more pictures, follow the link in my Signature Block below.

Jamie Avant at The Diesel Depot claims he can reproduce "Swanger Air" for you, but I have not heard of him actually doing it.

britannic
03-02-2004, 07:09
Hey Doc, was that movie "Dr. Strangelove" :D ?

Originally posted by CleviteKid:
Hi Eric,

You hit me in a weak spot, one of my favorite movies from the sixties in which the star played three different roles.

CleviteKid
03-02-2004, 08:43
Britannic,

You did not need to ask, you recognized the avatar as did I, and did not even need my hints. We all know you are one smart dude. And of course Peter Sellers was a Brit, also.

But gooooolllllllyyyy, you spoiled the guessing game for everyone else by posting the answer so soon !!

Dr. Lee ;)

Appetite whetted? See a little more at
http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/Article/0,,64124%7C64125%7C17930,00.html

and set your alarm clock for April 24, 2004, 8 pm.