PDA

View Full Version : Bad news TTD update

Peter J. Bierman
02-20-2004, 14:01
Ok, I am over it now and have the nerve to tell you.
In an very unwise attempt to give the good doctor a 0-60 to think about I blew a head gasket :mad:
Besides that the strip I used was to short it sure wasn't my day.
I noticed the next day when pulling a trailer, after a wile on the highway the coolant low light lit up and after a refill off the radiator it came up up again after the highway :(
Checking things out I could not see bubbles in the radiator after starting but when stalling the transmission to warm things up it dumped half its contence when the thermostat opened, definitly a head gasket or cracked head.
I think it was leaking for a wile couse I already filled the coolant up a few weeks ago but the 0-60 killed it for sure.

On the other hand, now I have a good reason to pull the heads and replace them with the late 6.5 heads, so there is good news in it too ;)

Peter

gmctd
02-20-2004, 15:11
There can always be a silver thread amongst the galled ;)

[ 02-21-2004, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

CleviteKid
02-20-2004, 16:22
Maybe this is Fate's way of telling you to be like Britannic and move along to an even more capable engine.

But you might have set the record for 0 -> $6000.

Dr. Lee :eek:

britannic
02-21-2004, 07:08
Peter, bad news, but as they say, necessity is the mother of invention! I think you're going to enjoy the results after you fit your 6.5LTD ported heads :D .

C.K. Piquup
02-21-2004, 10:57
What was the time?or is it too soon to ask?

Peter J. Bierman
02-22-2004, 08:54
Well Doc, the rapair will not take that kind off $ but some time ( whitch I don't have at right now)
The 6.5 heads take a few more weeks to get here so I am not to stressed right now.
I WILL NOT GO TO ANOTHER ENGINE ! :mad:
I conciddered go to 599 6.5 but since even you and Britannic left us 6.2 drivers, I think somebody has to hold the 6.2 fort ;)
As for the 0-60 time, some were between 7 seconds and a couple off months since I did not reach 60 and will not do so for a wile. :D

I did the stuppid thing trying to set a time with a not properly timed engine with the wrong injectors.
I prommise to correct this as soon as possible and try again.

Peter

CleviteKid
02-26-2004, 06:39
Peter (and others)

Look CAREFULLY at the pictures in "The Right Stuff" article, you can see an upside-down 6.2 peeking thru the red paint. My engine, as explained, is an original 6.2L diesel, it has just been rebuilt and had to have the cylinders rebored. It is only a rare and strange coincidence http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/deal.gif that it ended up at exactly 6.5L.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/devil/salook.gif

Peter J. Bierman
02-29-2004, 08:22
You are off course in title to your own opinion but I still believe it was a very carefull planned and executed coincidence. :D

No hard feelings but you are just 300 CC's out of line. ;)

Peter

Randee of the Redwoods
03-05-2004, 13:26
0->$6000. Clevite, that has to be the funniest dern thing I've heard in weeks!!!!

Dieselboy
03-05-2004, 13:55
I came darned close building my engine and turbo and transmission and transmission and transmission and transmission and transmission and...well, you get the idea. :D

Peter J. Bierman
05-20-2004, 14:02
Well, finally I found the time to start repairing the engine.
Took off the coolant cross over and V-belts and had the engine running, after a few minutes I noticed bubbles from the right hand head.
Decided to pull only one head and take the engine out later for some modifications including the 6.5 heads.

Beware! if you ever build a TTD, you need to remove a lot off things to pull a head :eek:

Anyway, luckily it only was a headgasket.
First cylinder to front water jacket blew, no cracks what so ever smile.gif
Start building tomorrow and put in the hi pop hi flow injectors and do the timing properly this time.

I'll keep you posted.

and Doc, costs so far, 600$ thats inc. injectors. :D

Peter

AndyL
05-20-2004, 15:47
Peter, Sorry to hear about your engine.

Can you estimate how far off your timing was? How much "Diesel Rattle" did you have?

CleviteKid
05-20-2004, 17:09
Peter: when you are working for customers on their vehicles how much to you charge per hour?

And how many hours will you have put into this repair?

Some of us can multiply, Peter, so if you think the answer will anger you, just don't compute it.

Dr. Lee :rolleyes:

PS: we were all glad to read that it was "only" a head gasket. smile.gif

britannic
05-20-2004, 17:55
In Peter's case it's a labor of love and every day is payday :D !

Peter J. Bierman
05-21-2004, 13:28
I think I'll go with Britannic's statement, on this one.
I stopped multipying and adding up on this truck a wile back, well becouse :eek: .
As stated in the article, it all started as a low budget operation, and if you have been following the project, you know what I mean. :D

On this engine "only a head gasket" is a positive thing, a cracked head or worse could be expected, lucky me, the head gasket is the weakest link.

As soon I have the engine running again, I can start playing with the MT 480 timing device and let you know where it was.

Peter

C.K. Piquup
05-22-2004, 03:43
When I asked about the time, I was refering to the 0-60 tongue.gif .I also would like to know what you meant about the strip being too short.What did you run into? ;)

Peter J. Bierman
05-22-2004, 13:49
Time was more then 8 seconds, did not reach 60 :(
The strip being too short means that at the end there is a 90* turn in the road and I kinda had to hit the brakes hard to prevent ditching the truck :D

Peter