PDA

View Full Version : Cracked starter cone

78Chev
05-10-2005, 18:09
Was inspecting my starter and noticed that the cone end is cracked and separated, though still holding fast. Two questions:
1. Can the cone end be purchased? My starter (rebuilt autolite) is not that old and cranks great, so I'd like to just replace the cone.
2. Has anyone had this happen and can it cause a knocking sound? I've been harrassed by a knocking sound forever with this engine and am wondering if the starter is the culprit.
Thanks - Randy

john8662
05-10-2005, 19:15
Anythings possible with the knock, but sure could cause some noise if that cracked cone was contacting the flexplate, etc.

So you've got one of the good ol autolite straight starters! I don't know but I think that the regular ol Delco cone would work fine, I don't know what the difference in the starters is though. They are both delco starters as far as I'm aware, it's just how they're rebuilt. I'll take some time tomorrow at the shop and compare a delco and the autolite..

I've got to get mine fixed too, my bendix went bad on mine, should be a cheap fix, hopefully.

5.7L oldsdiesel
05-11-2005, 16:18
Cones can indeed be purchased separately.My oldsmobile diesel broke the cone several years ago and i could buy the cone with no problems at all.Cost me something like $80.00 or so.