PDA

View Full Version : Who has changed 2 wheel Drive to 4 wheel Drive?

Low_Bridge
05-12-2005, 10:43
With the looming thought of tranny rebuilding $900-1,200 in the 91- If she was a 4 wheel drive I would keep her-

91 2500 R What would it take to convert her in 2 steps-

1st- replace tranny with a with a tranny & transfer?

2nd Change out a frames to straight Axel?

Thanks

[ 05-13-2005, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Bill D'Addio ]

dieselcrawler
05-13-2005, 15:24
You have a couple of options... if you use a divorce mount transfer case, you can use your 2wd trans, and rebuild it now. You'd be able to use the truck for the time being, as is. Find a donor truck, all you need is any K- truck frame, I think the frame rails them selves are the same, the diffrence is in the cross members under the motor and front end of the frame, maybe body mounts/front end of the front spring hangers/brackets, front springs, steering box and linkages, and some other small parts... you could find any year from '81 to '87, unless it's a blazer or sub, they go to '91 I think. In a nut shell, if it's the same body style, it will work. I mention the body mount/front spring hanger, because on my truck, they are riveted together. You will have to do some careful measureing, and drill alot of holes, but it can be done, and not have to move your body from the frame. You will need to remove the front clip and motor, as you'll need to strip the frame from the fire wall forward, and move all the bracket and cross members from the doner to your frame. Some will say it's not worth the work, sell the truck and buy another one, but, if you're like me, you need another project, right? A well equiped garage, tools, probly torches, welders, grinders, etc might be needed, but it could be worth it.
Good luck, if you go with it, let us know how it goes... I haven't done this yet, but plan to do it soon, when I find the trucks to do it with.... I need to find a one ton, and plan to start with the cheapest 2wd I can find, swap a front end into it, 6.2L, 4sp, and a dumping 12' flat bed. I've got the body parts, running gear, and dump bed, just need the frame to start with....

Again, good luck...

Greg

Low_Bridge
05-13-2005, 15:57
It all makes sense but I think you reminded me of how much work it will be. I've done the frame offs' before & yes right now I'm in to too many projects. I'm going to have to chew on this some more :confused:

Confounded transmission !!!

84 Convert
05-16-2005, 20:37
Been there, done that! My K2500 was a C to begin with. If you do decide to do the frame swap thing, be sure to get a Suburban frame. as I'm sure the body mounts differ from a pickup. I originally was going to go the route Diesel Crawler suggested, but ended up swapping frames because I had all the drivetrain out anyway and a nice overhead trolley crane to work with. I also got the frame for $75. My biggest concern with keeping the 2WD frame is the newly installed frame pieces and their attatchment. If you bolt everything on, you'll have to check tightness for quite some time after the conversion. Most of the holes you need for the spring hangers K-memebers, etc, are there already. I really looked closely at the two frames. With the proper equipment, I didn't think it was too bad.

If you do choose yet another project, good luck and enjoy!!

Gregg