PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L Auto to Manual Conversion

britannic
02-23-2004, 20:39
I'm converting from the 700R4 to an NV4500HD with NP205. My NV is a hybrid and uses the beefier Dodge Cummins input shaft and Chevy 32 spline output with all of the stronger Chevy stuff inside it.

I'm going with the Chevy clutch master/slave hydraulics and would appreciate seeing a picture of how the master cylinder is positioned on the firewall to help me fab. it all up.

gmctd
02-24-2004, 04:47
Scour the local boneyards for the 2500-3500 with manual trans.
You'll need the complete pedal and bracket assembly from the manual version to get proper spacing and hookup.
Look to the outside and down from the power brake assembly, where you'll find two dimples about two inches vertical spread in the firewall.
Those are the clutch master cylinder mounting points.
May even be a large hole, with a rubber plug, where the cylinder shoulder fits thru.
This hole is used for the T400 wiring on my truck.

britannic
02-24-2004, 10:04
This is on a 1985 style military K30. There's a large plate that extends down below the steering shaft and above that has the hydroboost bolted to it.

It doesn't look there's anything that's preformed for a clutch master cylinder - maybe the 1985 My was still using a mechanical clutch linkage?

gmctd
02-24-2004, 13:53
Mine is '89, where the booster plate is shorter.

The clutch m\c is located just above steering column level, over a bit, past the speedo cable pass-thru, below the wiper motor gearbox, adjacent the upper corner of the bulkhead harness connector.

From inside, immediately adjacent the top of the fuse panel, you may see an oval perforated area on the firewall insulator pad, removeable for the clutch cylinder and rod.

The mounting studs are captive in the brace rod pair, required to stabilize the thin firewall sheetmetal.

Pulling the pedals and bracket from a manual eqipped truck will make it all easier.
They interchange, but are distinctly different, with an additional pair thru-firewall stabilizing bolts.

odee
02-24-2004, 17:31
I'm fixing to do the nv4500 swap in my dually. I have a friend here that has just finished doing his. He used the 94 style master and slave cylinder on his swap. He had the mechanical style setup in his truck factory. He mounted the master cylinder to the fire wall and drilled a hole in the stock clutch pedal to have a stud to pivot the rod off of. I think he has put about 1500 hundred miles or so on the truck since it was done without any problems. What bellhousing are you using in your swap?

britannic
02-24-2004, 21:13
I'm using a Dodge bellhousing with a Chevy slave cylinder (it all fits and was removed from a Chevy/Cummins conversion).

My NV4500HD is a hybrid and uses the stronger Dodge input shaft, stronger Chevy internals (fully machine mainshaft etc.) and 32 spline output shaft.

Originally posted by odee:
I'm fixing to do the nv4500 swap in my dually. I have a friend here that has just finished doing his. He used the 94 style master and slave cylinder on his swap. He had the mechanical style setup in his truck factory. He mounted the master cylinder to the fire wall and drilled a hole in the stock clutch pedal to have a stud to pivot the rod off of. I think he has put about 1500 hundred miles or so on the truck since it was done without any problems. What bellhousing are you using in your swap?

84 C2B2
05-16-2004, 05:32
Britannic,

This is an old post but I wanted to ask you where you got your NV4500 from? I'm looking to either do a manual or a 4L80E conversion for my CUCV.

Jerry

Dieselboy
05-16-2004, 08:48
I think it came as part of his powertrain package, but he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

New NV4500s can be found through a number of online vendors. I know Advance Adapters Inc (http://eshop.advanceadapters.com/commerce/catalog/spcategory***p?category_id=1216&czuid=1084726504695) carries them, and Six States Distributors might too. They're not cheap though, so plan on spending up to $2500 for a new one.

britannic
05-16-2004, 21:40
I placed an ad in the www.turbodieselregister.com (http://www.turbodieselregister.com) classifieds and was contacted by a guy doing a similar conversion to mine. He was swapping out his NV4500 for the NV5600.