PDA

View Full Version : Broke down, was stranded. Need Help.

shamanie
02-23-2004, 20:45
I arrived at school and promptly left my lights on approximately 2 hours. No problem as it started right up.

Couple of minutes later the water in fuel light came on. I am 15 miles from home. At an idle the temp guage started to creep up. I turned the the temp lever for the air to hot and put it on vent to help get some of the heat off the engine.

Taking off from the next light the temp guage was all the way to the right and the volts went all the way past 18. I pulled over immediately.

Turned it off. Tried to see if I could turn it over and nothing. Nada. When I put the keys in the ignition nothing happens, no guages light up or anything.

Worst of all my baby is in a particularly bad part of vegas. Really upset.

Any advice or help appreciated.

C.K. Piquup
02-24-2004, 04:22
What did you see when you opened the hood?Was the belt off or loose?This wouln`t explain the WIF light.Unless low voltage had the computer on the blink.

catmandoo
02-24-2004, 05:34
i'd get a volt meter and check batterys to see what ya got for juice,if up to 12 or so,i would say you might have took out a fusible link down by the starter,but then it also sounds somewhat like a bad dash ground,

shamanie
02-24-2004, 06:47
The interior light was on as I got all of my stuff out of my blazer. So I'm thinking I had good juice. Don't know if it helps but I have an 83 blazer.

Quack_Addict
02-24-2004, 07:15
My 1982 K5 had a very similar issue. The voltage regulator in the alternator went "full field" and smoked a fusible link by the starter. I don't remember the temp gauge going up or any IP lights coming on, but the voltage gauge went to 18+V and within a couple seconds I had smoke blowing through the vents into the cab.

Subzilla
02-24-2004, 07:38
Ditto on the same symptoms and blown fusible link except my fusible link was at the power block on the fire wall. I had that "burning insulation" smell with the gauges pegged, lights twice as bright and everything on nuclear-charged speed. Replaced the link and everything has been fine since.

gavio
02-24-2004, 16:20
Pretty much the same here - the fusible link by the junction block. Added colorful input of the door locks cycling rapidly while I hurredly pulled off the freeway. Once I got it stopped, the parking lights and stereo worked, but nothing else (maybe the dome lights still worked, too, don't remember).

It's been OK since replacing the link.

Good Luck!

shamanie
02-25-2004, 06:46
Thanks for the prompt replies folks. Had a good look at it today and found no visible signs of anything. Started messing around with the fuse box with the keys in and wouldn't you know it the windshield fluid came on(Nothing else would even light up). The little round case on the rightside of the engine bay, kind of a wiring junction for the winshield fluid sprayer, it looks like a film canister, went hay wire when I messed around with the fuse box? It would'nt go off. I had to unplug it.

Had to have it towed out of where I had it. Took it to a place called J&S Diesel. Hopefully everything works out.

Gavio, I used to live in glen ellen before I moved out to vegas. Great place. Good people.

[ 02-25-2004, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: shamanie ]

shamanie
02-25-2004, 19:58
Moderator,

I am curious to know if you could change the heading of this thread to something more descriptive for the sake of anyone searching for an answer to the issue I experienced.

Just got off the phone with the mechanic....James Martinez of J&S Diesel in vegas....and he said...

"We are charging your batteries right now. Looks like you had a bad fusible link, but we think you have a short in there as well so we need some more time with it."

Thanks you guys.