PDA

View Full Version : starting difficulty on 6.2L

Flat57
02-07-2005, 18:36
Hi.

I have subscribed for membership, but it looks like I won't be admitted for a couple of days. Maybe someone can answer this. I just bought a 1985 2WD suburban with 6.2L. I plan to remove the body (it's thrashed) and put on the body from a 1957 chevy truck. Anyway, the engine is hard starting. It started, but only after cranking for a while and spraying in some starter fluid (I know, not good for the engine -- but I wanted to make sure the thing started before I put down my money). Once it had started and run for a few minutes, it would start up just fine. It runs fine once it starts.

Glow plugs? Something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

NH2112
02-09-2005, 14:31
First of all, I'm assuming the "wait" light does come on when you turn the key. If the bulb is dead you can watch the voltmeter drop down to around 10V while the plugs are energized. You should also be able to hear the controller relay clicking from inside the cab. If you see or hear all these things, and can verify voltage at the glow plugs, I'd just go ahead and change them. They're cheap, and every 6.2l should be running AC60Gs or Kennedy Quick-Heats anyway.

Flat57
02-09-2005, 17:02
Yes, the light comes on and stays on for a while then goes off and cycles on and off. I'll verify that i'm getting voltage at the glow plugs next. I now have access to the rest of this site, and have read over the troubleshooting page. I'm looking forward to getting it all going soon.

Thanks,

John.

DmaxMaverick
02-09-2005, 21:58
Good advice above. Sounds like the plugs need replacing. I strongly recommend the Kennedy Quick Heats (www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/)). No more glow plug hassle (with the plugs, anyway). Using the 60G's may require modifying the glow controller to get them to heat enough, as they come up to heat much slower. I have 60G's in my '85, but I also have a manual glow system (push button and count alligators).

About the starting fluid....

I understand your need to hear it running. If the engine still had the original, or OEM replacement plugs, they would be 9G's. Starter fluid (or anything for that matter) and 9G's don't mix well at all. DO NOT use the starting fluid again!! If you haven't already caused some of the plugs to swell, they will with more starting fluid use. Once they swell, it's a real hairy process to get them out without pulling the heads. Search the 6.2 and 6.5 forums for more scarey info on that.

Good luck, and welcome to The Diesel Page!

Flat57
02-10-2005, 11:21
Got it. Thanks. I was wondering why the problem with ether.

I'll get some glow plugs and put them in. I suspect this will solve the problem.