PDA

View Full Version : best

bluenote
12-09-2002, 15:21
Someone I was chatting with went on and on about his D*dge CTD. He had done rather extensive mods to it, and bragged about how he has easily beaten the DMax more than once. Then he gave me some concrete info. He went to the strip and put down a 13.9 second

SoCalDMAX
12-09-2002, 16:46
I think pacific performance engineering has run 13.1 in the 1/4mi. They're running a reg cab SB 2WD with their own goodies on it. And slicks, of course.

Ask him how much he's spent on making all of that power and making the tranny strong enough. You could probably keep up or beat him spending 1/3 or 1/4 as much on your Dmax. Don't rub it in too hard if he's a friend. ;)

Regards, Steve

Heavy Duty Neil
12-09-2002, 16:51
Well, the Pacific Audio Duramaxamizer truck has ran 14.1@93mph so far.

http://www.duramaximizer.com/videos.htm

I'd imagine there are a couple of quicker trucks running around somewhere, or soon will be.

Kennedy
12-09-2002, 18:38
I've talked to some FULL WEIGHT 4x4 guys that are running low 14's. My tank will get down there FAIRLY well, but if I give it all I have, 5th gear cannot hold even with the Stage 1 mods. I run easy mid 14's at 7600# on a Gtech.

The numbers I saw were 13.4 which I believe were for the PPE truck.

big dipper
12-09-2002, 19:04
14.1 @ 102.6 cc/sb

Hey JK, hows that tailgate look? :rolleyes:

Kennedy
12-09-2002, 19:13
Well, it still closes and latches, but if I had a bed full of 3/8" nuts, I'd likely be spreading them all over the road! :eek:

mtomac
12-09-2002, 19:34
mods: Edge Juice "HOT" box, custom airbox, flowmaster muffler, everything else is still stock

mackin
12-09-2002, 19:57
bluenote

I'm with SoCal on this he definately busted the head off a few piggy banks to get to 13.9.....

Micheal got to a 14.3,half a second off,but, with one plug -in for about a grand plus some nickle dime stuff....

He (CTD) has three times that in his tranny prior to gaining any ponies......

MAC :eek:

big dipper
12-09-2002, 20:45
Maybe I should add:
JK "hot" juice box and AFE intake (245's)

I am sure I could get in the 13's, but right now the speed limiter and the tranny are holding it up.
I can consistently stay in the 14.3 at 96 to 98mph depending on the launch. After my tranny package arrives from JK, I am hoping it will be consistent 14.1's. Then I can turn the other switch on............only 'til top of 4th of course. :D

CAUTION: Please do not attempt to do this at home. At least make sure you have nothing in the bed! ;)

mtomac
12-09-2002, 20:53
big dipper:
post the #'s from your timeslip I'd like to compare

are you launching in 4x4?

big dipper
12-09-2002, 21:13
Sorry Mike, I was using a G-tech.

I remember my other truck was comparable to yours until I found it was best to have the truck hot as possible. Version 3.0 got me 14.7 but I can't remember the rest. 92mph I think with a 2.01 60ft. Those were track times with my old truck.

Yes, 4wd got me the 14.1
The truck definetly sees more mph in 2wd, but it is hard to get a compromising start. I have gone 14.4 at a best in 2wd with the mph again around 96-98. The big problem is the little burst after it goes into 5th. It didn't do it on this run. Most of the other runs, I had the slip thing going on.

I know a g-tech is not the real deal, but the weekend I got it, a friend with a Dodge Dakota played with it on the street and used it at the track to verify it's "honesty". I didn't believe it until then.

Even when I ran the 14.1 I had very serious doubts especially with mph over 98. The "trap speed" is calculated in a timed window so I guess it is possible.

It also helps to strip off anything you don't need to hang on to and keep the fuel LOW! I didn't want to tell JK, but I took my tailgate off. tongue.gif

Maxter
12-09-2002, 22:20
I do 14.6-14.8 @ 91-93 mph easy with a K&N filter and regular juice. 4x4 lauch on wet road using a G-Tech. The tailgate is still there and I had a full tank of fuel. My toolbox must weight 200 # with the chainsaws, gas, oil, come alongs and other stuff in it. Last time I weighted that configuration I was a little over 7000 #.

2x4 lauch on dry pavement should get me a little bit closer to 14.5 but I haven't had the time to try it yet.

Swayse
12-10-2002, 08:31
Well in 4x4 I ran a best of 14.24 at about 90.94, but I'm not doing 4x4 launches anymore, knocked my truck out of alinement. I tried 2wd, with a 2.22 60' (open diff, one tire spinning) I ran a 14.38 at 92.87. I left the line real easy, and once the boost hit the tire broke loose, then shifted into 2nd and boost hit and the tire broke loose, then shifted into 3rd and bogged a bit and I was gone. I'm glad that I was going fast enough that it wouldn't downshift into 2nd. I'm working on getting a G80 locker put in, that should make it easier. But I have plans on doing tranny upgrades, slicks, bigger box(hp wise), and maybe propane.

Kinda spooked though, tranny is starting to shift real hard into 3rd gear at WOT. It has done this 3 or 4 times, and I mean it just slams into gear. Oh well.

SoCalDieselNewbie
12-11-2002, 02:32
Actually, the PPE truck is a LONG BED REGULAR CAB that is 2 wheel drive.

And Kennedy is correct, it ran a 13.4 sec 1/4 mile.

The scary thing, it was 1 run at Oceanside, is that he was in neutral to finish the run.

Anyway, just an 'off the shelf' powerloader and an 'off the shelf' duramaximizer.

Anyway, come Monday... 13s will be probably be a thing of the past.

Breck
12-11-2002, 18:46
Swayse,

Is that GM truck holding up as well as your Dodge did at the track? (broke stuff on the Dodge didn't you?)

bluenote, I'm still waiting for that challenge on the "FAAAAAASSSSSTTT" tread. I checked back often and there was no reply from you. I did come across someone in a blue Dmax on I-75 a while ago but they couldn't keep up after 98mph ;)

Maybe Edmore this summer? smile.gif

SoCalDMAX
12-11-2002, 19:03
SCDN wrote; "Anyway, come Monday... 13s will be probably be a thing of the past."

Whaaaat?? Did you find a source for JATO bottles? Don't even think about it! The last guy to try that won the Darwin Award, which you DON'T want to win... ;)

LOL, just imagine talking to some unsuspecting RiCeB0y at the track who innocently asks how fast you're running with that big slow diesel truck.

"Well, I used to run low 14s, but after I got the slushbox tranny sorted out, I started running mid 12s..." After his eyes pop out like they were on springs and his jaw hits the ground so fast the three little hairs he calls a "goatee" come unglued... then casually say, "I'm kinda thinkin' about trying out propane. I hear you can make a little power with that. This stock stuff is gettin' kinda boring." "Hey, do ya think I should run slicks?"

Keep us posted on what breaks after the tranny gets beefed up. :eek:

Regards, Steve

bluenote
12-11-2002, 20:15
Breck-

You're so full of crap I can smell it all the way from Saginaw. On two different occasions, I've offered you the chance to run stock vs. stock. Your response, all talk, no walk. Face it, you're scared to do that because you know you'll lose...you've even admitted it in a previous post. You agreed that I'd beat you every step of the way until the speed limiter. You saying how you can pass me at the top end means little in the way of power, since you know full well 100 mph is my limit due to programming not engine capability. The last I heard from you, you were thinking about mods. Are you still running stock? If you are, and you're not just blowing smoke up my arse like the last 2 times, let's set up something.

SoCalDieselNewbie
12-11-2002, 20:30
SoCal,

You wanna laugh?

We think that he'll get that truck into the LOW 12s with nothing but a BUILT TRANNY and PCM programming.

He wants to see how fast he can make that truck go on just #2 with ZERO hardware mods to the engine.

No propane...

No NOS...

No Injectors...

Same Turbo...

Same everything EXCEPT... Exhaust, PCM, Duramaximizer...

Breck
12-12-2002, 04:41
Easy there Band Boy didn't mean to get you all out of tune over the issue.

How about TODAY? 12 December 02

You said you only live about 25 miles away from Saginaw?

I checked back on several occasions to MY OFFER(s) on the Posts "Anyone want to race a Ford and FFFFAAAASSST" and there was no response from YOU to line them up here in Mid-Michigan!

Beleive me, I'm not scared of racing two "SLOW" diesel pick-up trucks.

Personally I could care less who wins, It was just a friendly offer to anyone that wanted to line them up for the heck of it. Not some test of man-hood or lack of.

Pretty childish about being able to smell the crap thing.....but to be expected from a GM driver: they usually don't think theirs smells. (meant to be tongue and cheeck) ;)

Well how about it?

Let me know when you get out of school today smile.gif

V/R

Breck

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: Breck ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
12-12-2002, 07:05
DOH!!!

Here comes the padlock. Again.

========
"Pretty childish about being able to smell the crap thing.....but to be expected from a GM driver: they usually don't think theirs smells."
========

Childish???

Don't just flame one of 'em. Get 'em all while you're here :rolleyes:

Breck
12-12-2002, 07:29
If it gets pad locked for something like this :rolleyes: Jeeasssch!

FWIW: I think there are a few CTD (probably not daily drivers) that are running in th 11.?'s

Just about anything that has four wheels, that runs in the 13's and below, cost a lot of money.

Swayse
12-12-2002, 07:33
Breck,

I had a turbo go on the Dodge at 20,000 miles, replaced under warranty. Two lift pumps, then switched to a Holley blue. My first South Bend Clutch was bad, they replaced for free. Clutch slave cylinder went out. That's all I can think of in 73,000 miles. At the track it was always good, lots of 4x4 launches, best 60' was 1.96, and in the quarter was 14.26 at 93 mph. This was with 2" lift in the front and 315/75/16, and it would still get 17 to 18 mpg on a trip like that. I kinda miss that truck. Bought it for 31,000 and sold it for 23,000.

bluenote
12-12-2002, 19:12
Breck-

Childish? My God, you must have such a high opinion of yourself, maybe the overly loud clatter of your engine has addled your brain. tongue.gif

It's OK for you to call names, taunt, and carry on over something YOU never followed up on, but I make a comment about you being full of crap and I'm childish. Actually now I'm afraid to line 'em up with you, not because you have a snowballs chance in hades, but because with your mental state, I'm concerned about your ability to keep things on the up and up. :eek:

Nice try in posting something I wouldn't be likely to read until it was too late to take action on, but stayed tuned. When you quit worrying about the childish behavior, I'll have you down my way...and I'll even give you advance notice! :D

Breck
12-13-2002, 06:06
I'll extend the offer again today (13 Dec 02) and this coming weekend (I know you'll be out of school); it is 6:50 AM. Yesterday it was aprox. 4:45 Am

(I think your original post was in the middle of the day? Must have checked while you were at school?)

Your reply back last night was a little after 9:00 PM EST I wasn't trying to be to tricky

I thought yesterday I gave you ample opportunity to respond (4:45AM) but understand that this time of the year is tough to make plans on the spur the moment. But, looking at your reply(s) I see no attempt at trying to set something up other than "some day" type fluff. It would appear that you are the one a little off chord over this issue? I know that you musicians can be a little emotional about things ;) (My brother is trying to be one)

If you go back and check the post(s) "FAAAASST Dmax and CTD" and "Does anybody want to race a Ford?" YOU never offered! You just talked a lot of smack but never wanted to set something up. Then you try to make it sound that I am the one that is all talk and no action, what ever! I think your confuzzed.

Any way, Like I said before it is supose to be a "just for kicks type offer" not some "Utimate challenge of who is the best" . My truck is not part of my alterego?

Let's stop the banter and line them up!

How about Gera, MI about 2-3 miles north of Frankenmuth? We can weight the trucks at Star of the West, run them, and the loser buys the first round at the Gera Bar when it's over! You mentioned that you live south of me about 25 miles, Frankenmuth is about 15 miles south of me so that is about the middle?

I'll keep checking back as today passes. Hopefully I won't get your typical response about my ego, mental state, smell, brains ability to keep things in order, it too late and so on....

Just for the record: I have never been commited to a state hospital, never been arrested for any thing too serous ;) , shower daily (already this morning), hold an office in church (Immanuel in Frankentrost), have a four year degree, married (8+ years), was an officer (O-3/LT) in the United State Navy, designated as a naval aviator (pilot), flew off carriers, now I am commercial pilot and work on a family farm, yada, yada , yada.......I doubt that you have to worry about my mental state and or smell, but thank you for your concern none the less.

I am concerned a little about your smell? If your like most muscians I know I don't want to catch a contact BUZZ if I stand to close to you....I get drug tested ever now and then. ;) (meant to be tongue and cheek)

It probably is a safe bet that you won't hurt my ego if YOU actually want to show up.

V/R

Breck

If your nervous about running them on the street, how about racing at Edmore this summer on the track? You'll be able to get a time slip and everthing so that you'll be able to show the guy, that you were chatting with, that owns the 13.9 ET, CTD what YOUR truck runs. I believe that was your original intent of this post?

[ 12-13-2002: Message edited by: Breck ]

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: Breck ]</p>

pullinpower
12-13-2002, 08:30
Breck I wish I lived closer to you :D

Breck
12-13-2002, 12:41
pullinpower,

thanks smile.gif

I was in Arkansas once, Fort Smith; pretty area. A tornado had gone through and had wiped out, one of the guys in the squadron mom and dads place. What a mess :eek: We flew in there for the weekend to help clean up.

I'm thinking that your ride would whip mine pretty easy....but it would be fun none the less to line them up? What does it run with the 120HP addition?

If your ever in the area?????

V/R

Breck

I guess it is not going to happen today :(

11:25PM

And again today, 14 Dec 02 11:30

:(

And again, 15 Dec 02

Just checking again, 16 Dec 02???? not suprised

[ 12-14-2002: Message edited by: Breck ]

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: Breck ]

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: Breck ]</p>