PDA

View Full Version : hard starting & new g'plugs

brighty
05-18-2005, 13:02
Hey guys,

Just a few quick questions... I tried the search but not really enough time to sort them all...

My 6.2 is starting really rough of late. As I'm only driving it every 2-3 weeks atm, it's getting harder and harder to start. After I glow it, and crank it... (for about 4-5 secs) it wants to start but not smoothly... give it another glow and crank it again... it starts but runs rough as hell and blows alot of blue/grey smoke.

After about 1-2 mins of running, it idles fine and runs smooth as ever. Although I have noticed it is a little harder starting whilst warm too, but not that much of a difference than before.

As it's getting colder here in Australia (about minus 10C or +14F.... in the middle of winter!!) I'm not sure thats part of the prob going by the temps that you guys get over there.

Thinking maybe a leak in the fuel line, letting air in???? Or glow plugs need replacing???

I'm probably going to replace the glow plugs anyway, so what are the prefered choice for the 6.2 V8's.

Thanks for the advice in advance!!!!

Cheers,
Brighty

john8662
05-18-2005, 14:15
If it's cold you might try plugging it in, but new glow plugs are something to consider. To test them you will take a test light and connect the test light lead to the positive terminal on one of the batteries. Then remove the connector from the glow plug you are testing and touch the pointed probe of the test light to the connector prong on the glow plug. If you get light the plug is good, continue to the next. If you have some bad plugs, the AC 60G plugs are a good replacement, they don't burn out as easily as the original plugs did, but they don't get a hot as fast as the old 9G's did. Another alternative is the Kennedy Quick Heat plugs, they heat fast and don't burn out and swell up under extended glow times.

www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com)

Other sources for hard starting as you describe are slow cranking speed from failing batteries and or starter. Your fuel filter(s) could need servicing. And finally, you could have an air leak and fuel leak in the fuel system. The usual suspects for leaks are the connections on the injection pump, fuel filter, the filter housing itself (Model 80 square system) and the throttle shaft on the injection pump. If you smell diesel fuel or can see wet spots, then you know what to look into. A fuel leak in the system will allow air into the system, which causes hard starting because the system will have to prime itself.