PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Bracket Failure

porboyz
06-27-2004, 11:55
In May of 2003 I decided to drive my 88 new body style 3500 pickup from CA to AL. While cruising 70-75 mph down the lonely interstate 8 just outside of Gila Bend AZ, I got a sudden bump and other terrible noises along with the smell of antifreeze. I figured this truck had finally given up the ghost with only 80k orig miles owned since new. I shut off the engine, coasted safely off the highway and popped the hood. I found the lower alternator brackett had completly broken/snapped causing the bottom of the alternator housing to break off and with the forward pressure of idler pulley on the serpentine belt everything hit the fan blade. I was fortunate in that at the speed at which the failure accurred the bulk of the debris went south and caused the lower radiator hose to fail. I replaced everything new that was needed including the idler pulley and had fabricated a simple brace which is attached to the top alternator brackett to help arrest any forward pressure and releive stress on the bottom brackett. This was my second attempt at driving the truck across the country. The first trip resulted in my joining the DP in 1997 after turbo 400 trans failure and the insuing rip off by amco/shamco in El Paso, Tx. The governor shear pin broke causing no 1-2 shift, they rebuilt an otherwise good low mileage trans without trying to diagnose it and of course I couldn't watch the rebuild. When you're on the road with an elderly mom your only defense can be plastic cash. I've continued to own this truck only because of Jim and the DP. Thanks to all!

porboyz
07-02-2004, 10:23
"I found the lower alternator brackett had completly broken/snapped"
CORRECTION: I found the small brackett that attachess to the rear of the idler pulley to the top of the alternator had broken/snapped.