PDA

View Full Version : advancing the pump

rob1681
05-21-2005, 16:25
can anyone tell me how for the advance the pump or have a pick????

NH2112
05-21-2005, 16:37
Do you mean advancing the injection timing, or turning up the max fuel rate? All you have to do to advance timing is loosen the 3 15mm nuts that hold the pump and rotate the pump slightly to the driver's side of the truck. I wouldn't go more than about 1/16". Turning up the max fuel rate is a little harder and can be done 2 ways. The way I'd do it is remove the side plate from the driver's side of the injector pump - it looks kinda like a home plate in baseball. Then, bar the engine over by hand till you see a small setscrew come into the window you just uncovered. Using a good 5/32" (I think) allen wrench, turn this a max of 1/4 turn clockwise. You'll ned a light and a mirror to actually see anything inside this window, but you won't have to take anything apart like you would if you did it through the top cover.

rob1681
05-23-2005, 18:33
thanks moving the pump 1/16 inch is what i was looking for,because it runs like it is retarded.

aloharovers
05-24-2005, 06:30
Do changes top the IP pump timing effect engine operating temps?
I bumped up the timing to correct for altitude change. I have less white smoke at start, and less black under heavy acceleration.
But now the truck is running hotter. No change in EGTs but the water and oil temp are 10-20* hotter driving the exact same stretch of highway to work.

Stray Cat
06-04-2005, 12:34
Advancing IP timing can make the engine run hotter. Actually, for altitude, it is reccomended to retard the timing. the reccomended is about 1-degree of retard per 4,000 ft of altitude.