PDA

View Full Version : Gears, 6.5 injectors, A/C working....it's 115 deg. in vegas

shamanie
05-24-2005, 19:33
All together it seems a bit more peppy, but the smoke is out of control hysterical. My GF was following me home and some lady cut her off. I let her get right on my ass and opened up a cloud that fogged the whole intersection. I mean it was riduculous. My GF says the smoke is white and black....

Also, I am running a lot hotter than I was. Of course, I did have the A/C running full blast...which seems to work a helluva lot better when moving by the way. My temp guage stays between the 200 mark and the next line up. Not sure if that is ok.

Truck is louder with the gears but that is expected.

Any comments appreciated.

john8662
05-25-2005, 09:27
If you installed timing gears you'll have to be carefull with how the engine is timed. My suggestion is to retard the timing by moving the IP towards the passengers's side by about two line widths. If you line the timing marks up side-by-side you'll see too much advance.

Thats good the engine seems to be making more power, I would expect to see that if you had an engine with lots of miles on it that would allow for a stretched timing chain.

For the smoke, do you have an EGR system still? If so, this could be the reason you went foggin of mosquitos. I recommend disconnecting this system to test and see if it's the problem. You can do this temporarily, locate the rubber vacuum line running to the air cleaner housing. Trace it down to the solenoid sitting on the drivers' side valve cover near the rear. disconnect the hose from the solenoid, then go for a test drive. No more smoke? If your smoke problem quits, then I'd suspect an opening EGR valvea or faulty system. You will need to cut the hose and attach one end back to the solenoid, then plug the hose with a bolt/screw to stop vacuum flow. Do the same for the other piece going to the air cleaner. This keeps the EGR valve from opening, which cause the engine to eat it's own exhaust, and you're adding more fuel which will make it SMOKE.

For the temperature problem, resolve the above two problems, this could change this. Another few things to do would be to check the cooling system, how long has it been since the radiator has been rodded out, ever? It could be plugged up causing it run hot, as well as a thermostat that's failing.

Since your in such a hot climate, I'd recommend replacing the stat with a Robertshaw 180 degree stat, verses the stock 195, gives you a better safety margin.