PDA

View Full Version : Question about heads and rebuilding....

Lothar
07-09-2004, 16:02
I just got a 1992 G3500 van VIN#2GDHG31JXN4526505 so its a "J" code engine if i'm reading the VIN correctly..anyway, it heeds heads OR a head gasket. I have a pair of heads off my old motor that i am planning on rebuilding then just swapping them out to save time, but i am afraid that they may be "C" heads. (i replaced this motor then over revved it and had to replace it again, i think it came out of a van, but not too sure) Is there any way to tell which heads these are? I have searched this forum and not found any definant answer. The heads are off and ready to go, but i dont want to waste my time if they are "C" heads. I'll just wait till i get the van here and then pull the heads off it, but the guy that owns the garage where i do my work doesnt like big vehicles sitting around inside, which is why i want to just swap them out and save shop time.

Another question.. This van has 100,000 miles on it, just broken in :cool: if i have to rebuild the heads what should i look into doing for power while they are off, High Pop injectors, special head work, special head gaskets, ect..

give me some good advice guys..i know its here!!! :D

Lothar
07-11-2004, 14:26
ok...no love :(

EWC
07-11-2004, 18:07
As far as I know , the differences between the heads are 1) injector angle is different for the 6.5 2) the C heads probably have the smaller valves 3) the precups are probably the smaller openings . Having said that , I put a set of non turbo heads on a 95 turbo engine with no problems . If you are asking if the swap will run then I would say yes assuming you don't have the fine thread injectors in the wrong style heads .

Lothar
07-12-2004, 08:38
Thanks...

I know it will run, its more of a question of power. I dont want to replace the more powerfull j code heads with the c code. I have a spare set but i dont know if they are c or j code. Additionally since i am most likley going to rebuild them i want to know what i should do during that process to ensure the best performance..