PDA

View Full Version : Help! It still smokes!

ees
07-12-2004, 15:31
I just (thought I had) finished a month long revitalization of my new to me truck. The truck had two bad head gaskets when I got it. It made good power the 2 minutes I drove it, but smoked bad.

I just took it for a test drive and it still smokes! I could cry. Is this injection timing or maybe something else?

The smoke is white and doesn't have any strong odor. It gets heavier with more RPM.

What I changed/fixed up front:

Water jackets in heads sleaved
Heads decked flat
All injectors rebuilt (new innereds)
New fuel return lines
New head gaskets of course
New head bolts
New air filter
New water pump and T-stat (GM)
All new hoses
Heath remote mount cooler
Remote mount oil filter
New mandrel x-over pipe
All new exhaust gasketing

This project has had everything that could go wrong go wrong. I have been to the parts store and the dealer so many times I think they owe me a resevered parking spot. I had to wait a week for the wrong part to come in from the dealer and I won't even get started on the back brakes.

So as you can see I am kind of at my wits end. Please tell me this is just a setting and I don't have to tear the engine apart again.

Thanks for the help (whatever the verdict is).

[ 07-12-2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: ees ]

ees
07-12-2004, 17:41
I have been reading over the troubleshooting guide. What is the HPCA solenoid? It sounds like I need to get the timing checked.

I had not stated in the last email, but I also changed the fuel filter and the glow plugs. It does sound/feel like my lift pump is running.

eracers999
07-12-2004, 18:47
You need to drive it longer, to burn out the crap that is in the exhaust. Could take quite a few miles. Keep a eye on the fluid levels.
Kent

ees
07-13-2004, 02:44
Good idea. I did only let it idle for maybe 10 minutes and then only drove it a few hundred yards. It had started to pour and I didn't want to get stuck away from home on my test drive in the middle of a cloud burst.

Since the truck had a pair of bad head gaskets is it possible my cat is ruined? Once my bank account stops screaming from what I have already had to do I was planning on a new exhaust system anyway.

ttpost
07-13-2004, 07:17
i agree with kent, you need to drive it awhile.i have had that happen several times after blown headgaskets, it can take quite awhile for the old antifreeze and water to burn out.
just make sure you keep an eye on the temperature and oil, i usually check it several times every 5 miles or so.

oh yeah have a cell phone handy :D :rolleyes:

moondoggie
07-13-2004, 08:03
Good Day!

In my limited experience, white exhaust is usually due to coolant or retarded timing. Was your engine timed, including the offset learn (probably wrong name) procedure? If not, how much does it rattle? If it's pretty quite & hasn't been timed, it's sure worth looking into.

My daughter's 89 was making significant white smoke until warm. I gambled & bumped the timing a little & the white smoke went away. It doesn't rattle excessively, so I'm unconcerned. (Please don't bother chastising me - I'm fully aware I need to get this truck timed. ;) )

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

ees
07-13-2004, 08:19
I don't know much about the history of this truck, but I have never had it timed. I am off to the dealer in a few minutes to return wrong parts. I am going to see if I can get a warm feeling about them looking at it. I am not too confident.

Thanks for the input. At least it sounds like things aren't broken.