PDA

View Full Version : Want to wash underhood

mdregister
07-14-2004, 14:30
I want to wash nearly 20 years of grime off the motor to cut down on the chances to contaminate fuel while replacing injectors etc.

Obviously, it is best not to spray the alternator down or douse the intake to much, but is there anything on the 1985 6.2L that should absolutely not get wet?

ZZ
07-14-2004, 20:23
I have read on here that it's not a good idea to put cold water on a hot injection pump.

When I wash my engine about twice a year, I drive first thing in the morning straight to the car wash and give mine a good bath with engine cleaner that the car wash has. But, I wouldn't do it after a hard highway run.

grape
07-14-2004, 22:10
If it's the old style glow controller on the back of the driver's side head, I'd but a little zip lock bag around it and let 'er rip.

NH2112
07-15-2004, 04:32
I've never taken any precautions other than avoiding pressure-washing directly on the p/s reservoir cap and alternator. Give the injector return lines and glow plug wires a visual check afterward to make sure they're all still in place, but other than that put the water to her and don't worry.

mdregister
07-15-2004, 06:40
Thanks!