PDA

View Full Version : Overheating w/new Banks Turbo

CJ4BAJA
07-19-2004, 14:19
I just had a Banks Turbo installed on my 85' 6.2 . Before turbo it would get hot on hills but not too bad, maybe up to 210 degrees. Now, with the turbo, any sustained grade will overheat the engine to 220 plus. It runs great any other time, although I haven't towed since the turbo was installed. It also cools quickly once over the hill. It also does not get hot sitting in traffic, only on hills. Could installing the 110 gpm water pump from Peninsular Diesel help this problem. I'm leaving for Baja next week and I'm afraid I won't make it over the mountains.

Thanks to anyone
CJ
85' Suburban

wthif
07-19-2004, 16:27
I currently have the same problem. Horsepower will do that to you. My old engine that was in my truck had a 110 gpm water pump from Peninsular and got warm on hills but never past 200, but that was with a stock engine. My current engine has a stock water pump and a 195* T-Stat and I see temps of 225* on a local hill with outside temps at 90*. What I'm going to do before taking the Peninsular water pump off my old engine (less than 7K on pump) is put a 180* high flow T-stat and a new thermal fan clutch from heath diesel on and see what happens. If it is still getting hot I will put on the high flow water pump and make a custom dual thermostat crossover and hope that fixes my hot coolant issues until I upgrade my engine again and get more horsepower and torque. :D All coolant temps taken with a mechanical coolant gauge and the factor gauge.