PDA

View Full Version : Block Heater Installation

TRASHCAN
09-30-2003, 14:58
It is snowing in Upper Michigan today. Time to install the block heater that has been sitting in a box all summer. My 6.2 has never had one installed and I was hoping someone could tell me what freeze plug is used on factory installations. Also, does anyone have an opinion as to what type of heater is most effective? Thanks in advance.

NH2112
09-30-2003, 15:55
IIRC it's the first one behind the driver's side engine mount. I don't think it really matters, the deciding factor should be ease of access IMO.

I've heard that the freeze plug style heaters are the most efficient, but I can say from experience that a 1000W freeze plug style won't heat a 3.9L Cummins' coolant to 180F overnight (and keep it there) like a 1500W canister-style heater will with a 4.236 Perkins! I don't think the extra 500W is what makes the difference, either. We may not be able to properly use a canister heater in our 6.2Ls because there's no easily accessible place at the bottom of the water jacket to tap into, but by tapping into the extra port in the water pump and teeing into a heater hose we should be able to have hot coolant for the defroster and heater.