PDA

View Full Version : Front Leaf Springs

britannic
10-01-2003, 18:09
I was installing my polyurethane spring bushes today (what a job!) and noticed that the leaves are fanned out like a hand of cards at the front (each is displaced in the same direction by about 3/8" at the front hanger).

Both springs are splayed in the same direction and by the same amount.

Should I try to correct it, or doesn't it matter, since it doesn't affect the track as the leaf with the bushing is correctly centered?

Dieselboy
10-01-2003, 18:23
That tends to happen to every leaf pack under steering stress over time. It's not a cause for concern so long as it doesn't get out of hand. Your hendricks clamps should keep things in line. Mine have always had a similar splaying.

BTW, how were those old rubber bushings upon removal? I had to drill, hammer, and eventually burn some of mine out. What did you choose for bushings? Greasable or what?

britannic
10-01-2003, 19:37
DieselBoy, thanks for the info! WRT to the bushings: I went with Energy Suspension and the teflon super sticky grease.

britannic
10-02-2003, 11:30
Originally posted by Dieselboy:
BTW, how were those old rubber bushings upon removal? I had to drill, hammer, and eventually burn some of mine out.I used a drill bit (many actually, since the rubber liked to snap them off :D ), air chisel, vise-grips, pry bar, pipe wrench, homemade press etc. and lot of grunting and elbow grease!