PDA

View Full Version : Follow up to "Towing Question"

palumbo27
10-02-2003, 07:50
Thanks to all that responded..Now here is where it gets fun.

Truck made it to Douglasville, Ga and we delivered the car. Unfortunitly, my truck is still in Douglasville, Ga. There is pretty long grade coming up to the scales on I-20W, and my transmission did not survive it. I lost 3rd gear, blew trans fluid all over the place. The trans did its job for 160,000 miles, alot of which had a horse trailer on it (5th wheel). We bought another truck from a guy up there and my truck is coming home on car hauler. The truck we bought is a '90 K2500 350 w/SM465 granny 4spd. The odometer stopped working 8 mos ago at 232,008 according to the guy. It made it home and gave 12MPG. My 6.2 got 13 loaded. The fun part was shifting it, the slave cyl is bad, so I have to double clutch, or not clutch at all to shift, and shut it off to get it in reverse.

I was very unhappy with the way the truck handled the load. 5000LBS and it was giving its all just to make it up overpasses. There is something seriously wrong with the fueling..It was smoking so much that the car had soot on it behind the truck. I think this is my trucks last pull for money. I'd almost say the truck we picked up to drive home would pull better than the 6.2/Banks TD setup did.

Another lesson learned..If I buy a DMAX, it's going to have the 6spd. In fact, I'm considering converting my '93 to a stick.

britannic
10-02-2003, 11:39
Have you have maximized the air intake and exhaust output on this engine and is the timing, IP, injectors, lift pump and fuel system in good shape?

Did you ever replace the timing chain? I didn't realize that I had lost most of my torque below 1900rpm until I pulled the chain and replacedit with gears (a new timing chain and cogs would have been almost as effective, but I love precision and just couldn't help it :D ), that and being able to set the timing precisely, has resulted in a very torquey, smoke free engine.

palumbo27
10-02-2003, 19:42
Air intake is a APC open element air cleaner (turbo is LOUD), and exhuast is single 3" pipe with no converter or muffler. I know the 160,000 mile injectors are seriously hurting performance, and the pump was rebuilt 30,000 ago, but the shop did a really bad job on it. Lift pump works I'm pretty sure, but don't know how to check it, i can hear an electric fuel pump run when I turn the key forward. Timing chain slack is probably there at this mileage. I turned the IP slightly to the drivers side, with really no results about 1 month ago. The advance piston in the injection pump is not working right, it sticks, sometimes you will get a sudden surge of power and it feels great, then it just dies out and back to normal.

britannic
10-03-2003, 06:03
Originally posted by palumbo27:
Air intake is a APC open element air cleaner (turbo is LOUD), and exhuast is single 3" pipe with no converter or muffler. I know the 160,000 mile injectors are seriously hurting performance, and the pump was rebuilt 30,000 ago, but the shop did a really bad job on it. Lift pump works I'm pretty sure, but don't know how to check it, i can hear an electric fuel pump run when I turn the key forward. Timing chain slack is probably there at this mileage. I turned the IP slightly to the drivers side, with really no results about 1 month ago. The advance piston in the injection pump is not working right, it sticks, sometimes you will get a sudden surge of power and it feels great, then it just dies out and back to normal. Well you have some options:

Replace the timing chain, injectors and get the pump fixed. If the advance mechanism is malfunctioning, the timing will be off enough at higher revs to seriously limit power and potentially cause engine damage.