PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about the future of my 6.2

mdregister
11-19-2005, 13:32
Been awhile since I posted, life has been crazy for me lately.

A few months back, I was planning on pulling my engine and replacing the head gaskets and rebuilding the IP. That still has not happened.

I moved from NC to Montana. What a brutal drive. I drove a 24 foot cargo van (old U-Haul) that I purchased in Florida (it was cheaper to buy and old one than it was to rent one) while my wife drove the 6.2 Suburban with all seven cats, the dog, and the fish.

The Suburban did great except for the A/C. The high pressure hose blew off the back of the compressor in Indiana. The July heat sucked for her the rest of the way.

Anywho-----

Here is the deal.

1. I still want to replace the head gaskets. I have a really small leak at the rear driver side headhead/block seam . It is a very small leak, that I did not have to add water for at all during the 2800 mile drive. I did add some when my trip was over though.

2.I also NEED to rebuild the IP.

The motor runs really good, but does have 142k on the odometer. There is very little oil consumption (less than 1.5 qts the whole trip driving 10 plus hours a day).

3. Should I consider rebuilding while I have the engine out??
4. How do I know if the engine truly needs rebuilding?? Compression check?

5. Money is a little tight, but I could probably spring for the rebuild kit if I do the work myself. It will be my first engine rebuild- no telling what will happen!.

6. If a rebuild is not indicated, what else should I do while the engine is out? Main bearing girdle?

Here is a list of what has been done recently (less than 5000 miles)

1. new (rebuilt) injectors
2. new water pump
3. new oil pump
4. new DSG gear set
5. new glow plugs
6. new rear seal
7. new harmonic balancer
8. probably more, my memory is a fickle S.O.B.

Thanks everyone,
Mike

jaymanaa
11-19-2005, 19:14
I'm fairly new to the 6.2 (I've had my 85 pickup about a year) so my opinion is probably not worth a whole lot, but the first thing I would look at is blow by. Mine has vertually none at 115,000. Next would be a comp. check, then when you pull the head to replace gasket you could visually check for a ridge in the cylinders. As far as the bottom end I am of the understanding these break the crank or they don't ( I replaced my harmonic damper today). As long as the oil has been changed I don't think I would worry about bearings. Take Care Jayman

84 Convert
11-19-2005, 21:32
If compression is good and money is tight ,I would skip the lower-end overhaul. The girdle set-up couldn't hurt... unless the wallet is REALLY getting thin. My low-buck re-ring job ended up being around $1000, $400 of which went into sleeving and shaving the heads. I only had the block honed not bored, boring will definitely cost more along with the new pistons if you have to go that way. I was just gonna replace the head gaskets after I found water in 5 of 8 cylinders, but then I found that I had cracked pistons...thus the re-ring job. Do look at your pistons closely while the heads are off.

Gregg