PDA

View Full Version : Can I install a 6.2 in a 6.5 Suburban?

dieselbegreat
11-21-2005, 09:49
My 6.2 engine is running quite well but, alas, the body on the old '88 cannot continue forever. I would love to find a newer style Suburban with a blown engine and stick my 6.2 in it. Any problems with that? Thanks for your replies.

trbankii
11-21-2005, 10:38
Depends on your state regulations. Here in Pennsylvania you cannot swap in an engine that is older than the engine that came in the vehicle. For example, I could swap in a '93 or newer engine into my truck, but not a '92 or older.

arveetek
11-21-2005, 13:39
Any legality questions aside, the biggest problem you would face would be deciding on how to mate the old mechanical engine to the newer electronically controlled vehicle. You won't find a mechanically injected Suburban in new sheet metal, they didn't make one. They stopped making diesel Suburbans in 1992 and 1993, and then re-introduced them with the electronic 6.5L in 1994.

You have several options:

1). You can keep your current mechanical 6.2L IP, which would probably be a good idea for reliability reasons, but then you'll have problems getting the electronic transmission to function properly. It can be done, it's just a hassle. Either get a seperatre tranny computer, or graft the electronic and mechanical tranny controllers together.

2). You can keep your current mechanical 6.2L IP, and also swap in your current tranny, or another, older mechanical tranny. Again, you may have issuses getting everything to work properly on the dash. May not be a big deal, though.

3). You can keep the stock 6.5L electronics, and swap them over to the 6.2L. You'll have to swap in the 6.5L front timing cover, but everything else should bolt on. This would make the neatest installation, but then you'd be relying on the notorious FSD/PMD to keep the engine running. :eek:

4). You can swap your 6.2L into a gasser Suburban, and avoid the engine electronics. However, you'd still have to get around the tranny issue.

As I said, it can be done, it just depends on what route you want to go to mate the electronic Suburban with the mechanical 6.2L.

Myself, I'd probably lean towards option #2.

Casey

G. Gearloose
11-21-2005, 13:43
Make an Urban Gorilla...
http://www.4x4bodies.com/

dieselbegreat
11-23-2005, 06:30
Thanks for your responses. I like those Urban Gorillas. I think they are cost prohibitive at this point, compared to fixing up something a dealer or somebody is trying to unload, if I could even find one with a blown engine that is.

Re a newer Subn, local regs can be avoided for myself but that may affect its viability to a prospective transferee.

Going with #2 scenario:
Presently the 6.2 is mated to a 3-speed auto (TH400?). Could I use a run-of-the-mill 700R4 (disregarding governor issues for now)? Is the total length for the driveshaft the same, or can I use a driveshaft from a gasser Subn?

Hmmm, or maybe just repaint, seal up the inner fenders and have plastic body panels installed to hide the rust, replace all the body mounts and be done with it.... Anybody have experience with those plastic panels?

john8662
11-23-2005, 10:55
I like Casey's #3 option..

Swap the 6.2 in place of the 6.5 and Bolt EVERYTHING from the 6.5 onto the 6.2.

One more thing to swap will be the Heads from the 6.5, have the heads rebuilt top notch then install them on your 6.2. The reasonining behind this is that the DS4 injection lines will have a different angle going down to the injectors. The 6.5 heads have a differerent injector angle, so the lines are bent to accompany this. I would also want to use the 6.5 heads because of the angle in regard to clearance on the turbo side of the engine, the turbo exhaust manifold sure is close anyways. You'll also use the short body 6.5TD injectors, as the long body injectors will have clearance issues.

A couple of other things to consider..

The year of Sub that you'll be buying. If it's pre 97, then the oil cooler lines will connect right up to the 6.2 block. Otherwise you'll be looking for the 92+ oil cooler lines and cooler to swap into the vehicle.

And finally, depending on which year 6.2 you've got, you'll need an oil supply line for the turbo. The 6.5 uses a port that is on the Passenger's side of the timing cover. So it will have a short line going from this tap to the turbo itself. The 6.2 does not have this provision. I've seen just a handfull of the 6.2's that have, one being an 88-91 660 cast block that I've got and the 599 casted 6.2's.

But, this is easy to remedy. you can take oil pressure from the 1/4" NPT plug near the oil filter boss or "T" off the oil pressure switch/sender location. To do either of these will requre a custom oil line going to the turbo, as the factory line won't be long enough.

All in all, I think this is very do-able, just make sure that the 6.2 you're using for the doner is very healthy!

[ 11-23-2005, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]